Chapter Fifty-six

Chapter Fifty-six

"There."

Emma sighs and snuggles against Emiliano's chest. "I don't ever want to take it off again." She rubs her hand up and down the arm that wrapped around her from behind, watching the ring that glimmered in the night as she did.

"I don't ever want you to," he whispers and kisses the top of her head, his one arm under her head as she nestled into it. "I love you, Emma," he cooed into her ear before kissing it.

"I love you, too."

𖨆

"You have to be fucking shitting me."

Emma rubbed a hand down her face once she eyes the positive pregnancy test in her hand.

"Nope." She threw it into the trash and pulled out another one from the bag that cost only a few pennies at the pharmacy store. "This is why I bought five." She smiled down at the sealed boxes. "Don't you dare. You hear me?"

𖨆

"What was I thinking!?" Emma slowly closes the treehouse door behind her and huddles up in an empty corner. "What was I fucking thinking."

She covers her face with her hands and rocks back and forth on the floor.

"I'm only nineteen. Nothing was supposed to happen." She sighs. "I'm engaged, what the fuck," she mumbled.

This was never supposed to happen, she thought. No, no, I can't think like that.

"I can't wuss out. I can't go back." She lifts herself off the floor and runs her hands through her hair. "I'm okay. I'm getting married!" She laughed happily but then frowned immediately. "I'm having a baby." She paces the floor.

"I'm going to have a baby and we haven't even talked about this." She plops down on a green beanbag. "What the fuck do I do now."

𖨆

"What the . . ." Emiliano felt the other side of the bed, only to panic when he found it to be empty and cold. "Emma." He frantically turned his head from the locked balcony doors to the wide-open bathroom door.

"Maldita sea." He threw the covers over his body, not caring when they fell to the other end of the bed.

In all his naked glory, he stood from the bed and rushed to his bedroom door, and opened it to look down both ways of the hallway.

"Shit." He rushed back inside and found his boxers to pull them over his legs.

He ran out of his room and down a flight of stairs. "Daniel!" He knocked on his door.

"What?" Daniel swung the door open. He rubbed a knuckle over an eye with the other one closed from sleep.

"Where's Emma?"

"What do you mean?"

Emiliano opened his mouth to explain but closed it back up again when caught a glimpse of the treehouse outside of Daniel's open window. There she was, pacing the floor as she talked to herself.

"Never mind."

𖨆

"Emma." Emiliano didn't mean to slam the door, but the way she reacted concerned him.