2

You clasped hands with your mom across the table and closed your eyes as Shawn began his prayer. 

"Thank you Lord," He started, deep gravelly voice that you had come to know and love. "Thank you for this beautiful day, thank you for my beautiful family, and thank you for this delicious meal. Amen."

"Amen." You repeated, opening your eyes as the prayer ended. You were met with the smiling faces of your family as your mother began to server the spaghetti, and Shawn broke apart the baguette, passing slices to both you and Myra. Normally, it was just you, mom and Shawn at dinner, but there was always a seat for Myra anyway, even if it was empty most of the time. 

Tonight it was full, Myra blocking your view of the photos of mom and Shawn's wedding on the wall with her hair done up in a large bun. It was blue now, different from the purple you had last seen her with a few months ago.

"So, Myra." Your mother said, spooning a helping of spaghetti into her bowl. "How's Miami?"

"It's good." Myra said. "I'm thinking about moving downtown, just to be closer to the studio, but other than that nothing's really changed much."

Your mother moved to you, spooning a helping of spaghetti into your bowl. You took a whiff of the aroma and smiled - your mother's spaghetti would always be one of your favorite smells in the whole world. There was something so homey about it - it would never not make you think about this room, at the family dinner table with Mom and Shawn and Myra. 

At the head of the table Shawn shoveled a forkful of pasta into his mouth, sighing happily. "Mama," He said. "I said it before and I'll say it again, you're the best chef in the whole goddamn world."

Your mom rolled her eyes, serving herself, but you could see the little smile in the corner of her mouth, quietly pleased with the praise. 

Myra took a forkful as well, smiling happily. "I've missed this, dude. There's nothing like a home cooked meal from your step-mom."

"You know you're welcome to come home at any time." You mom said. "We'd be happy to have you whenever you wanted"

"And I would love to come home every night." Myra said. "But unfortunately, I have a real people job."

Shawn laughed. "I would hardly call it a real people job when you're about to go travel around the country-"

"Dad!" Myra hissed, shooting Shawn a look. It was too late though, you had caught what he had said. 

Your gaze turned to Myra, eyebrows shooting up. "You're going on tour?"

She sighed exasperatedly at her father before turning to you. "It was supposed to be a surprise, but yeah, I'm going on tour."

"Myra!" You said excitedly. "This is huge! When are you going? Where are you going? How long are you going to be on tour? Are you staying in the U.S. or are you going abroad?"

Myra grinned, leaning back in her seat. "It's going to last pretty much the whole summer." She said. "We're doing most of the major U.S cities and a few in Canada, so not really abroad but kind of. I have a list of the cities actually-"

Myra reached into the pocket of her shorts and pulled out a lanyard with a little plastic sleeve on the end. She read off each of the cities - Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, Minneapolis, Chicago, Hawaii, Seattle, Los Angelos, San Francisco, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto and New York (not exactly in that order). She was pretty much doing a circuit of the whole country - and it probably would take her most of the summer. 

You took another bite of your spaghetti. "That's insane." You said. "Who are you going with?"

Myra smield knowingly. "Well, a couple smaller bands, I don't know if you would know any of them, but you might know the guys I'm headlining with. Ever heard of the Dream Team?"

Your heart fluttered excitedly. "Wait... you're going on tour with the Dream Team? Like actually?" 

Myra laughed. "What, you don't believe me?" She said, tossing the lanyard across the table to you. "It says it right there."

Sure enough, printed on top of the card in the sleeve - Dream Team and the Myracle Makers. The Dream Tour. Something else on the card caught your attention though - it was a roadie pass. With your name on it. 

"Wait..." You said, looking back up at Myra. There was a twinkle in her eye, and she nodded back down at the roadie pass in your hand. "Myra..."

"Come on tour with me." She said. "Think of it as a graduation present. You just got out of college, you're in the prime of your life... come travel the country with me."

You looked back down at the pass in your hand. You could imagine it now - a whole summer, just you and Myra and the music, traveling all the big cities in the country, having fun and enjoying your youth. It was the trip of a lifetime. How many people could say they went on tour with their sister's band?

Not to mention that the Dream Team would be there.

"Well?"

You looked back up at your step-sister, then at Shawn, and then at your mom. Your mom nodded slightly, and you turned back to Myra. "Yeah." You said, a smile breaking out over your face. "I'll have to talk to my boss, but yeah."

Myra grinned. "Hell yeah. Bros on tour."

"Bros on tour." You echoed, looking back down at the pass in your hand, taking in all the details - the clear plastic, the thin fabric, the card stock slip with your name on it, verifying your place. It was all very professional and branded - and that made it seem all the less real, even though you were holding it in your hand. 

You were going on tour. 

On tour.

The reality began to sink in and you smiled. This was going to be the best summer of your life.