24

The rest of the ride to L.A was largely uneventful - you and Myra had an impromptu Adventure Time watch party, passed out on the couches halfway through an episode, and when you woke up, the buses were pulling into their parking spaces behind the venue, just in time for the show. 

From there, it got a little hectic. The flat tire hadn't been too much of a setback - you had still gotten there in time - but it had cut into the time the crew would use to assemble the set and the bands would use to warm up, get costumed, and make sure all their instruments were in working order before the show. In an effort to save time, too many different things were happening at once, all at breakneck speed, and you were caught in the middle of it all, just trying to be helpful. 

"Y/N have you seen my phone?" Myra asked, peering over the makeup table. 

You did a quick scan, reaching over to grab it from where Myra had set it down next to the costume rack and handed it to her. 

"Oh, thanks." Myra said, taking her phone and quickly opening the camera, angling for a selfie. "C'mere, we need a pre-show picture."

You leaned over, resting your chin on Myra's shoulder and grinning for the picture. Myra winked and took the photo, adding it to her Instagram story. You would have to ask her for a copy later - it was a good picture, especially for the absolute chaos it had been taken during. 

"Need anything else?" You asked. "You have all your costume pieces? All the jewelry?"

"I'm good." Myra said, doing a quick scan in the full length mirror nearby. "Let's go, they're probably doing soundcheck soon."

You bustled out the door and into the rest of the set, still being assembled around you as you followed Myra towards the stage. The boys were already there, watching as their instruments were loaded into the center panel of the stage so that they could be lifted up for the grand entrance. Nick spotted Myra right away, a wide grin coming over his face. 

Your eyes found Clay - he hadn't put the mask on yet, but he rolled it around in his hands as he looked over at you, that wry smile from when he'd shotgunned you on his face. Butterflies erupted in your stomach and you gave him a small smile in return, waving slightly. 

One of the sound guys jogged onto the stage from the other side, carrying a bundle of different microphones in his arms while also trying to fix his glasses. "Hey guys." He greeted, balancing his load in one hand to free up the other. "Give me a sec, I couldn't find the cart we usually use-"

"Not a problem Charlie." Clay said, taking two of the mics out of his hands and handing one to George. 

Charlie handed the other two to Nick and Myra before turning around and flashing a thumbs up to the guy in the booth. The speakers around the set crackled on and the guy in the booth - Ted - began to speak. 

"Okay, Nick, go."

Nick cleared his throat, bringing the mic up to his lips. He let out a wanton moan, the speakers broadcasting it across the entire set. You stifled a laugh as you saw George roll his eyes - this was a common soundcheck occurrence, especially with Nick.

From the booth, Ted sighed. "Okay, Myra, go."

Myra brought the mic up and began to speak. "According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. It's wing are too small-"

"Okay, thank you Myra." Ted interrupted. "George, go."

"Clay has a small dick, Clay has a small dick-"

Nick burst out laughing. You looked to Clay to see him chuckling as well, not even bothered in the slightest. You would have to add that to the things you liked about him - he could take a joke. If someone had said that about most of the other guys you knew, they would probably lose their cool in an instant. 

"Thank you George." Ted said. "Clay, go ahead."

Clay cleared his voice and began to sing. "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down-"

You watched as Charlie began to sing along, doing a little dance. It hit you then how much you had really gotten to know these people over the few weeks you had been spending with them. You had met them a few weeks ago, but spending so much time with them, it felt sort of like a family. You didn't even talk to all of them, you didn't even know all their names, but there was an innate sense of connection within the crew, and the roadies and the bands - the force of working on the tour together pulling you all together. 

Hell, you hadn't even known Clay for that long, and there was already half of a song sitting on your phone, all about him. You stuck your hand into your pocket, just running a finger along the edge of your phone. You didn't quite know what you were going to to with the song yet, but you were sure that you had to show him at some point - after all, it was all about him. 

Soundcheck wrapped, and you headed backstage to watch the last of the set pieces come into place, and the test of the fireworks, all from the perch in the scaffolding that you had come to think of as your own. You watched as the crowd began to trickle into their seats, and the lights dimmed, and the crew began to speak in hushed whispers and convoluted sign language - all part of the routine of the show. 

When the lights flared back on to show Myra on stage, you smiled, knowing exactly what you were getting into, and knowing that it was going to be good.