three

Harry hates mornings.

Especially this morning, where he overslept and is now rushing to get Emily to school and Katie to daycare. Katie has decided to make today, of all days, the one where she protests wearing shoes. Harry feels like hitting his head against the wall. Repeatedly. But, there's no time for that.

"Katie, remember that episode of Sesame Street we watched yesterday?" Harry coaxes gently, a tiny, pink, light-up trainer in his hand. Katie sits there, arms crossed, pouting. "Where Elmo was talking about how sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do?"

"I rememba'," Katie nods.

"Well, Bug, I think this is one of those times he was talking about," Harry says, giving Katie a weary smile. "Like when Elmo didn't want to eat his veggies, but he did anyways, because he knew it was good for him."

"Shoes are bad for me, Papa," Katie insists, shaking her head. "My toes need'ta be free."

Harry glances at his watch. He has twenty minutes to get everyone where they need to be. That's, physically, impossible. "Katie, I'm sorry, love, but wearing shoes is just something you have to do. You begged me to buy you light-up trainers, and now you're going to wear them."

"Nuh-uh," Katie says.

"Fine," Harry shrugs. "No telly after daycare."

"No!" Katie pouts, crossing her arms.

"Shoes on or no telly, those are your options," Harry says, raising an eyebrow at her. "What'll it be?"

Katie lets out the most dramatic sigh ever, but she holds her little foot out so Harry can slip them on. Harry does so, very quickly, and scoops Katie up into his arms, taking her to the kitchen to get her coat on.

Emily is all ready, coat on and everything. Harry has never been so grateful for a seven year old. He gets Katie into her little red coat, scooping her back up and leading Emily out to the car.

"Remember Daddy's picking you two up today," Harry says as he climbs into the driver's side, starting the car and trying desperately to relieve the tension building up in his shoulders.

"I hope Daddy gets us ice cream," Katie says, swinging her little legs in her car seat.

"You can't get ice cream every time you go with him, babe," Harry says, although he knows Louis will get them ice cream if they ask. Katie pouts in the rear view mirror, and Harry sighs. "At least eat something beforehand."

"Papa, I don't have a lunch," Emily realises.

"Damn," Harry whispers. He usually packs her one. It totally slipped his mind. He hits the button to open the centre console with his elbow, pulling out a few pounds and handing it back to Emily. "Here. Try not to buy anything too sugary."

"Of course not, Papa," Emily grins mischievously, taking the money.

Harry gets Emily to school, fighting the urge to flip off the mother behind him in the drop off line who honks two seconds after he stops the car. He gets Katie to daycare and makes it to work only two minutes late. He's kind of impressed with himself.

He plops down in his desk chair, only slightly frazzled, starts up his computer. He's finally starting to settle down just as he hears his boss' voice from next to him. "Styles."

Harry looks up to see James standing there with this gorgeous, tall man standing behind him, smiling nervously. He could probably throw Harry over his shoulder with ease, and he's got a shag of light brown, wavy hair that curls around his ears. Did Harry mention he's gorgeous?