6 | Eden

Calla chanted the words while I held the knife. Dasher's induction was not going to be long and drawn out like most Coven inductions simply because there was only two, now three, of us, and also because the ceremonies didn't need to be that long. Traditionally, they were because our Goddess Mother loved dramatics—but she'd have to understand that, this one time, that I was short on time. No big party, dancing naked or long dedications to how much we loved and adored her. I did that everyday anyway.

Instead, when Calla finished chanting, I grabbed her hand and cut it. Her blood flowed thick and red, into the silver goblet. When she had given enough that it mixed with the wine, she licked the rest of it off. Blood stained her teeth red.

Calla, like our beloved Goddess Mother, loved the dramatics.

She picked up the chant where she left off, and I grabbed Dasher's hand, knife poised above it. "Repeat after me," I commanded, and he stared at his palm with a worried expression as if I'd slice it right open. All our cuts would heal as soon as the process was over. "Goddess Mother, to thee I give my heart, my loyalty."

"Goddess Mother," he intoned, "to thee I give my heart, my loyalty."

"It is you I serve first with my heart, my magic, and when this life is over, my soul."

"It is you I serve first with my heart, my mag—magic, and when this life is over, my soul."

I gave him a look for stuttering. It was a simple pledge, and he had no reason to be nervous. "Spirit, to thee I give my my heart, my loyalty."

"Spirit, to thee I give my heart, my loyalty." His cheeks flushed red at my look.

"It is through you that I finish what has been started. Through you, I will continue our mission, strengthen our magic, listen, and work in a way that will make you proud."

He started as the candles we lit flickered all at once. A chill swept through the room, and I saw them covering us, dozens of them with their arms around each other, and our great-great-great to ten degrees grandmother resting the flat of her hand against his shoulder.

Calla tilted her head back, feeling their presence, their power, even if she didn't see them.

"Coven, to thee I give my heart, my loyalty."

He looked at both me and Calla, and I smiled encouragingly at him. Almost done now. "It is with you that I share my magic, my strength. When this life is done and our time is over, I will will follow you to what is next and every step beyond."

"It is with you that I share my magic, my strength. When this life is done and our time is over, I will follow you to what is next and every step beyond."

"Self, to thee I give my heart, my loyalty."

"Self, to three I give my heart, my loyalty."

"It is only by me that I can accomplish what I have promised. For if my cup is not full, I have nothing to pour."

I cut his palm, quick and fast. He stared at it in surprise before letting his blood run into our chalice. When it hit the wine, it bubbled. The table shook, the old Coven and our ancestors preparing to welcome him with open arms.