Dying Wish

The wind blew lightly. It was warm, like a sunny day in the summer. No clouds, just peace. The landscape green. Although there were some sand patches here and there, it was beautiful. A dense green forest nearing the base of the great mountains.

Coming up onto the hill I sit. One lone tree with smaller bushes scattered. A blanket over the grass, a basket open with the sweet scent of food. Behind me was more land, but it wasn't like the one in front.

Behind was dark, the clouds darkened as far as the horizon. A dim orange/reddish color underlay the clouds. It was a sight if the scenery was good. The land dead, fires scattered. I could hear it behind me. Helicopters, tanks, the humming of trucks readying their missiles.

I closed my eyes, then opened them. The beautiful landscape in front of me was no longer great. But dead, like the one behind me. Looking down I see my tattered uniform, my hands holding my dirtied rifle. The blanket was still there. It's frayed edges and burnt color was almost the same as the ground.

Getting up I turn around. Before I stepped forward, I turned my head to see the mountains. A future I wished to see, now a small presence in a dying world. Back into the fold I go, hoping to fullfil my wish...