Causality

It was in an instant. The explosion knocked everyone to the ground. Only a few we're completely incinerated, some were blown to bits. Their flesh landing meters away from the impact.

Only a couple of civilians were unscathed, others...not so much but not as deadly. Everything seemed to be in slow motion. Bullets tore through the thin plywood in a matter of seconds, the deafening sound of explosions made everyone in the vicinity deaf.

Three civilians had their limbs blown off, they cried in pain as they bled out. The people nearby only tended to their wounds and those that had already perished.

What followed from the explosions was the deafening ring of bullets as they flew everywhere. The sickening sound of flesh being torn as larger caliber bullets hit those caught in the crossfire.

Those that were able, ran away from the gunfire only to suffer the same fate as the previous on the opposing side.

But one lay face down amidst the debris, hoping to escape this nightmare. They peeked out, seeing the faint glow of bullets, the bright lights of explosions, and the distant engines of war machines coming ever so closer.

There they saw what had started firing, the machines of the Axis. Forged from the pits of Camps scattered across the world, they had the bodies of humans but the mind of a robot. They only had one goal, to eradicate the Allied forces and their rebellions.

A siren swept the land. The only way to stop them by one single weapon. They had one chance to fire it, or it'll be the end of the Allied forces.

There, in the sky was the one hope everyone had that would declare hopes or losses. But no, no one could prepare for the twist that would happen next.

A counter missile launched at the light. Followed by a massive fireball. The air was still, tensions high, the machines resumed their heavy fire. This time inching closer and closer at a more rapid rate.

The ground shook like an earthquake but it wasn't one. The ground caved in below the main forces, a leg, then another one, then another one. Until all that revealed was a massive turret. It's barrels swiveled, firing then taking it's time in reloading. Heavy canisters fell onto the ground.

The end of humanity had just begun...