The Only Choice

It was dark. When they came. I could see them, their silhouettes, all in front of the gate. I tried all I could to stop them but to no avail. They slowly walked towards the house. Their movements all the same.

  I waited beside my door, holding my rifle. I started to think back. Back to the times before all this. Back before the war, before the experiments. Before when everything was at peace.

  This place used to be lush green. They were farms and forests on this land. All had changed when...they came.

  My thinking stopped when I could hear those distinct whispers. Peeking outside, they were slowly creeping closer to the house. Behind them..a thick fog. All I could hear from them were pained screams. All wanting to be let go, wanting to leave this horrible place. They were here because of...me...

  I knew that I had two choices. Join the  Fallen outside, or... I gripped my rifle tightly. But then again it was the safest way to not become one of them.

  Moments passed so quickly before the whispers got louder outside the house. Time was of the essence. It was the only choice that outweighed the other. I didn't want to become one of those things.

The porch floors creaked. The wind got more colder. I knew it was the right choice, even if it was wrong. My hands moved on their own, their barrel pointing towards me. In a swift motion, my finger pulled the trigger....