Introduction

You shiver as the night wind seemed to bite into your skin. Your legs drag forward, dreading what was to come. Cold sweat lingers on your body, and you can feel your heart loudly pumping.

Your visa expires tonight, so there is no choice but to play a game. So far, you have completed two of them in this cruel world. You entered with your best friend and had lost her after the first game. The first game was a Three of Clubs, and there you met three boys and an awful woman. Your friend, in a panic, had listened to the woman to open one of the doors and she got zapped with a red laser. One of the boys named Arisu was able to save everyone else in the end, but you didn't stick with the group after because of the hate you felt towards that woman. You felt that the longer you hung around with them, even if the woman wasn't there, that you're just reminded of your friend's death. It's not fair to Arisu, but you just want to forget everyone and everything that was there when it happened.

You played the next game the next day; you partly felt suicidal. It didn't help that the night before a man had killed himself by letting his visa expire. The second game was a four of Spades; the participants had to swim in an Olympic size pool 12 feet deep and reach the other side in a certain amount of time. There were floatation devices for those who couldn't swim, so it sounds easy, but there were piranhas and jellyfish along the way. Having done swimming for a few years, you lucked out on that one.

You had saved a player during the game, and as a thank you note, she explained to you the different types of games and how this world works. She had played over 12 games. It made you nauseous. You understood why that man had killed himself by letting his visa expire. The player told you to be wary of everyone. She also told you to never give up and think of your friend; don't let the psychotic mastermind make you kill yourself. They took enough, so don't let them take your life. So you swore to yourself if you died, it wouldn't be by your hand.

But that doesn't mean you're not scared. Your leg wobbles as you approach the next game, a slight sting still present because of that jellyfish a while back. You have an incredible amount of fear, even though you hide it decently on the outside.

You go towards the apartment complex, and you don't know whether to be relieved or stressed by seeing quite a few players there. You spot Arisu and his buddies and think about calling out but stop yourself. You remember what that player said about not trusting others, and Arisu is much closer to his other friends than yourself. You had to wait and see what this game is about.

A guy with white hair in a white hoodie stands out to you, along with a scary, buff looking man. You go to the side, put your own hood up, and keep your head down.

"Please wait for the game to commence."

"Registration has closed."

"The game will now commence."

"Tag: Don't let the tagger catch you."

There's a part of you—a big part—that just wants to scream your head off and jump off the roof. Or trail Arisu and his friends around like a lost puppy because you don't know what else to do and at least you're not alone.

But you force yourself not to. You'll only be a burden, and this type of game is one you could manage by yourself. You rack your brain to think of the place to hide, and you mentally take yourself back to the layout of the apartment.

Aha! It was simple; you can stand at a corner at an angle so you have a view of many floors and can see where the tagger is on!

You hurry up the stairs and bend down behind the white apartment ledge so only the top of your head and your eyes are visible. Your knees and hands are shaking, but you whisper to yourself it'll be okay. And even if it won't be, you'll see your best friend again.