Apology

You stumble outside, coughing, with Arisu and Usagi by your side.

This game you barely survived. You just finished completing one. It was a team game in which you all had to complete a puzzle before the room lit up in flames. Smoke had been filling up your lungs just as the last piece was put in place.

Arisu pats your back firmly a few times. "You good?" he huffs. You nod, letting out a few more hacking coughs. Usagi had some quick thinking and smartly wrapped her sweater around her nose, so she was less affected.

The car ride back is silent. You're all grateful to be alive, but everyone is thinking another game done means another one is right around the corner. Will you guys ever get out? If not, wouldn't it be better just to commit suicide instead of living your life like this? You push that thought away, remaining optimistic there must be a way out. You don't want to ponder about the flip side too much.

Pulling up at the Beach, it's brightly lit up with people celebrating their wins for the night. "Do you guys want to drink tonight?" you ask.

Arisu rubs his eyes. "I'm good. I'm not much of a drinker anyway. I'm going to sleep; I'm so tired." Usagi nods in agreement, letting out a yawn. For some reason, you're not feeling tired, so when you part ways, you head to the library.

Your favorite green bean bag is waiting for you. You settle in, letting out a comfy wiggle. You just want to relax after a game night. You pluck a book from the shelf about a woman who moves to a new city and navigates her new life. It's predictable, funny, and simple. Exactly what you need.

After a few chapters, your eyelids start feeling heavy.

Maybe I should've just slept after all... I should go back to my room. Mm, but it's so comfy here..."

Your mind fades into darkness.

***

Your mouth feels dry when you wake up. Your eyes open slowly, disoriented.

You make eye contact with Chishiya.

Snapping awake, you immediately jerk upwards on the bean bag, alert. He looks at you, seemingly inquisitive.

"What are you doing here?" you snap.

"Can't a guy like to read, too?" Chishiya is sitting down, leaning against the wall a bit in front of you, with an open book in hand.

"How long have you been here?"

"About an hour."

"Get out!"

"I didn't know this library belonged to you." He looks around. "Well, now I see where you've been spending your free time."

He's giving you the major creeps and you just know he didn't just stroll into this library and sit here for an hour for the fun of it. But you can't prove it.

Fine then. I'll be the one to leave. You wordlessly snatch up your book and head for the door, feeling his eyes on your back the whole way.

You practically stomp to the elevator, fuming. Now your special place at the Beach is not so special anymore. You even planned to show Arisu and Usagi soon, but it looks like Chishiya ruined those plans. Oh well. You can still always grab books and bring them up to your room.

When the elevator reaches your floor, you march to your room, swing open the door, and get ready for bed. That's when you hear screaming next door.

"You useless fucks! I carried all of us today. Why are you even one of us when you can't do anything?"