Chapter 9 - oH wOw, sPoRTS

Luz POV

I definitely should not be feeling like this.

Glancing at Amity from the corner of my eyes I watched as she slowly let her hair down. It shone in the bright sunlight that filtered through the tall windows, giving her an almost angelic look. She looked at the ground as we walked, a faint blush on her pale cheeks. 

I swallowed and continued my walk to the baseball field before she noticed me staring. Her beanie was still warm and made me shiver slightly. Dropping back so we walked side by side I pressed myself into her. 

Amity bristled slightly, leaning away. "What are you doing?"

"I'm still cold," I whined. "I don't understand how you people deal with it." 

"Maybe you're just a wimp."

"mAyBE yOu'Re jUSt a wiMP." I mocked, slipping my hand into hers. "You're always warm. Like a little furnace. Mi pequeña bola de luz."

She flushed. "I don't speak Taco Bell. Shut up."

I giggled as we reached the automatic sliding doors that opened up to the soccer field, making a sharp left towards the baseball field. "Wait, how did you know how to get here."

Chuckling nervously and trying to act casual I replied, "Lucky guess? Uh, I also have a map?"

She sniffed but let it go. Little did she know, I had been here before. 

Before lunch I had explored some of the campus. I went to Amity's next class but couldn't concentrate, worrying about how she was doing. While the teacher was looking at the board I snuck off to go find her. Of course, I became lost within the first 15 steps I took. Eventually I made it outside through one of the probably several million doors in the god forsaken building. 

And it lead... Straight into a forest. Walking down a lightly tread path I came to a quiet little meadow where I laid down for a while, staring at the clouds passing by. The past few days felt more real and vivid than any of my previous memories before I had arrived here did. 

The only thing I remembered before waking up in that smelly van was a bright light. It would shine into my eyes, and no matter how much I tried to move I was never able to shield my face or turn my head. The room had to have AC since it was always freezing cold. 

Back pressed against the cool earth, I shivered in the warm sun. 

Something in the bushes rustled. Rolling over onto my chest I pushed myself up onto my hands and knees and crouched low to the ground, the hair on the back of my neck tingling. I tensed my muscles and focused in on the center of the shaking. 

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" I screamed, flying myself into the foliage and pinning something under me. With a strained OOMPH, the mossy thing I pinned down wheezed and pressed against my arm in vain. 

"O-"

"O?"

"Of-"

"What?"

"OFFGETOFFICANTBREATHEYOUSTINKINGLUMPOFCHILD-" 

With a heavy kick to the gut I was sent flying back into a tree. I could only watch as a big, mossy green thing shook itself off and loomed over me as I tried to get my breath back. 

"You," It wheezed, leaning against the trunk, "Are a LOT heavier than you look." 

"Wait... Are you that owl lady that Amity and I saw yesterday?" 

"I am not that owl lady, I am THE Owl Lady. Capital T, O, and L. God." She took off the mossy camouflage she was wearing and rubbed her chest. "You are extremely lucky Amity's fond of you, otherwise I would have TOTALLY kicked your ass for that."