Chapter 8 - School (Pt. 2)

Amity POV

What the frick just happened.

My body burned where Luz had touched me, still tingling as we exited Lilith's office. The hallways were completely empty, everyone already in class. She leaned against a wall and studied the copy of my schedule I gave to her earlier. 

"Let's see... Your next class is Spanish. Wait, you take Spanish?" Luz gaped slightly, staring in my direction. 

Sighing, I began walking down the hall with her hot on my heels. "Some colleges require 2 years of a foreign language. So I took Spanish. It's easier than French or Latin. Also, it's used more around the world and I'm not taking a full 4 years. It's easy."

"That's so cool! Can I learn with you?" 

I dragged my hand across a few lockers, making a right turn. "I guess. No harm in picking things up while I'm in class." Stopping, I glared at her. "And no touching me again. You're lucky I didn't say anything in there."

Luz grinned evily, advancing towards me slowly. "It's not like you can stop me Blight." Snorting, I rolled my eyes and shoved her face away with one hand. She giggled, holding her head. "So mean!"

"I'll show you mean." I snarled, trapping her in a headlock. Luz yelped, grabbing my arm but not really trying to remove it. I held her loosely but angled her head so she couldn't get out. She stopped struggling for a bit and hung limp. Remembering that she was injured, I glanced down. "Luz?"

She shifted slightly, looking up at me with one eye. "You know, your heart is beating pretty fast Mittens-"

I let go, dropping her on the ground. 

"OOF."

I flushed, picking up a book she dropped with my right hand. "Um. Anyways. I need to get to class." 

We walked together in silence, Luz trailing behind me. The only sound after that was the occasional squeak of our shoes against the polished marble floor. After about a minute we arrived and I opened the door slowly, poking my head inside. My Spanish teacher, Mr.D, was deeply engrossed in a lesson. He had dragged some poor kid to the front and was attempting to have a full blown conversation with him, even though this was only Spanish 2. Hearing the light click of the door opening he stopped and looked in my direction. "Miss Blight! Nice of you to join us. Please have a seat." 

Giving him a small wave, I opened the door more and led Luz inside. She gaped, staring at the walls adorned with helpful posters plastered with bits and pieces of different words in Spanish. Mr.D's desk was solid oak, stationed in the back of the room. Various rolling chairs were scattered throughout the classroom, most of them taken by students. It was a small class, with about 8 out of the 13 chairs filled. I sat down in a green one, scooting to the corner of the room and taking a blue chair as I passed by. Patting it, I motioned for Luz to sit down. Receiving no response, I sighed and dragged her down into the seat.

"This. Is. So. COOL." Luz whispered furiously to me. "I cannot believe this is real. Wait. IS THAT-" Kicking off she sped towards a cage on the right side of the room. Mr.D glanced up and raised his eyebrow at me, only to get a small shrug. He continued the lesson, allowing the boy to sit down. 

Luz had her face pressed against the metal bars of the cage. There was a snowy owl inside, preening itself. It paused from it's work to glance at her briefly. Giving a low hoot, it scooted along it's branch until they were almost face to face. 

"Excuse me young lady but my owl does not take lightly to being touched. She's very-" His voice trailed off as Luz stuck a finger inside and started to scratch her lightly around the fringes of the owl's face, making it close it's eyes in pleasure and make a low hooting noise. Blinking, he said, "Um. That's odd. I never..." Shaking his head, he looked towards me again. "Is this your friend Amity?"