Chapter Five: Field Work

*(Y/N) POV*

I was in the middle of packing some things up as the sun rose in the window. "Make sure to be very careful out there, I'd hate for you to get hurt in any way. And make sure to pack your toothbrush and floss, your teeth are important!" Lyla ordered me as I packed my things. "Yeah, yeah, thanks mom for letting me know the obvious." I replied sarcastically. "It's important to double check, because I know you'll forget things like a jacket for the cold like last time." She remarked back.

"Look, that was years ago. I think I know how to pack things now, but thanks. I love you." I said as I hugged her. She hugged me back as she breathed deeply in relishing in the moment of our affection. (Not like that perverts) I then got my suitcase and headed down stairs where Ozpina, Carmella, and Quill were waiting there. "Ready kid?" Quill inquired to me. "Yep, all set, just have to say goodbye." I replied back to her. Carmella came up to me as she gave a quick kiss and looked deeply into my eyes.

"Promise me you'll come back." She said. "I promise, and when we get back we can watch some movies together as well." I remarked with a smile. We hugged one last time as we separated. "Remember (Y/N), if things get to hairy, call for an evac, you're life is very important and not something you should gamble with." Ozpina told me with a serious tone.

"Yes, I know, don't worry we will be careful out there. If it gets to complicated, we'll bug out, there's always another time to do field work." I said as I picked up my suitcase. "Alright then, let's get this show on the road." Quill said skipping out the door with excitement.

*Timeskip brought to you by

*

The bullhead landed as me and Quill exited the blimp with all our equipment on the edge of Menagerie. There laid a ruined city, supposedly overrun by Grimm. "Nice vacation, so where to kid?" Quill asked me. I held up a camera hanging on my side to view the area to look at the arua hotspots. I pointed to a empty building on the outskirts of the city. "There, that area seems to be relatively empty of arua, which means Grimm activity should be low." I told her.

We started our trek in the sandy dunes as half the city was covered in sand. There seemed to be no plant life or anything as the dry heat seemed to prevent anything from growing. The buildings loomed up as some structures had massive holes in them with a dark void. The sun beat down on us as we made our way to the building. It was in pretty decent condition for a gas station as it seemed untouched.

"For something abandoned to the Grimm, it looks to be relatively in good shape." Quill remarked as we made our way to the building. "Well, most likely was abandoned instantly with the waves of monsters as everyone would seek shelter in the city, and so much fear the Grimm would ignore the place to hunt down the people inside the city. At least that's what I think the reason is." I replied back to Quill.

As we approached the building, it seemed to be great as it even had it's windows still intact. Quill moved some of the sand from the front door as we entered the place. Many items in the place were full of dust, but still there untouched. "Seemed everyone was in a rush to get out." Quill remarked as we stepped over some beer cans littering the ground. " Well, let's first get set up." I said as we started unpacking everything.

By the time we got everything set up, the place started feeling cozy. We had some sleeping cots set up, a nice campfire a blaze with concrete rocks from the roads surrounding the fire and the store magazines as extra fuel than our fire dust. I had some lab equipment set up, a computer and some food and water laid out in organization. As me and Quill sat next to one another near the campfire, she began to open up.

"I'm really sorry, about everything that happened at Beacon kid." she said in a sad tone. "Why so, I never so you doing anything bad there?" I said nudging her a bit and smiling. "Yeah, but still. You should have never gone through that, especially my own nieces doing that, I figure I at least owe you an apology. On top of the fact of you turning my curse into a gift, I owe you even more than that." She told me with her head down.

"Hey, come on, it's what anyone else would do. Plus, you're here helping me further pursue my life's work, if anything I should be thanking you for helping." I told her with a smile. She then suddenly latched onto crying a little softly. "you don't know how much it means to me to be rid of that curse..." She whispered in between sobs. I patted her back reassuring her. After a while the silent sobbing stopped and it became silent followed by snoring.

Quill fell asleep in my arms as I was only awake. I dragged her to the best of my ability to her cot as I struggled lift her on top of it, but I managed to do it. I tucked her in and put out the campfire before going to bed myself.

*Timeskip brought to you by ⠠⠑⠍⠊⠇⠽*

I awoken to my the sunlight hitting my face as I see Quill watching over me as her fingers run through my hair. "Hello there." Kenobi (I) said. Quill instantly started blushing as she got up. "I, uhh, I was just, um, watching over, t-t-to see if you were okay, yeah, yeah!" She said stumbling over herself. "Relax, you're fine, it felt nice anyways." I said seemingly to put her at ease. "Anyways, are you good to go out today? We have extra food and stuff so we could spend another day out here to compose ourselves and get familiar to our surroundings." I told Quill as this seemed to worry her.

"What? No, no, I'm fine kid, nothing to worry about me. Everything last night was just the hear of the moment, me drinking a bit of jack Daniels as well, but I'm fine." She stammered. "Alright then, and you're fine of last night. I understand that your semblance must of been a lot of stress, and to feel that relief must've been completely different." I told her. "Yeah, you can say that again. Anyways, enough of this emotional jumbo, let's get to work." She said.

Our day then started off as we went out scanning areas of arua. There seemed to be certain concentrated areas of arua, anomalies I marked down on my scroll. We came across a particular strong anomaly as it was another huge building, with a similar large hole that held a bottomless void inside. Quill was quite spooked by the lack of activity, but something was off. I looked at the sand, to be surprised it was blackened, giving off the same void look. I collected some and told Quill that we we're going back to base for the day. Something strange was going on.

------------------------

Hey everyone, sorry it's been awhile. Many things been going on recently, but don't think I've forgotten about all of you guys. I'll be sure to continue writing my books as I have many things in store for the future. If you liked this, vote for this chapter and maybe follow me and I'll follow you back home. Until next time, coffee out.

Word count 1313