004 - actually, you're not my type

a/n : please remember to vote!

***

Marinette huffed a stressful sigh as she mopped the floor with a look of disgust.

She didn't know who was grosser, Adrien or her classmates when they ate.

"Well, you look joyful." the blonde muttered sarcastically. "Being stuck cleaning a pigsty with the one person you hate doesn't really bring a smile to most people's faces, Agreste." The ravenette snapped, still not looking him in the eye.

Adrien ignored her last statement, observing the ravenette. Her hair was sweaty and clinging to her face, and she had changed into gym clothes that were clearly not hers, as they were way too small for Marinette's liking.

The blonde smirked, scooching closer to the girl.

"You look kinda hot when your hair is covering half your face, Marinette," Adrien spoke in a sweet tone, causing Marinette to gag.

"Spare me. Now shut up and start working, I know you want to get out of here as badly as I do." The ravenette responded, a scowl plastered to her face. "Yeah, you got that right." the blonde responded in an arrogant tone, hiding his expression.

Because if she saw it, she'd know he was lying.

The two mopped in silence after that, neither comfortable talking, but not comfortable with the quiet either. After countless minutes, Marinette finally spoke.

"Adrien?" she started, drawing his attention. It was the first time she had called his name in a calm tone since they had only been kids. He knew what she was about to say was important, so he stopped mopping.

"Why did you change?" She asked sincerely, finally meeting his eyes.

Her question caught him off guard. He flinched, but the action was barely noticeable.

The blonde chewed on his lower lip, pondering on how to answer the question. Then as bluntly as possible stated, "Changed? I don't know what you mean, I've always been this way." Adrien's tone was calm, almost fake.

Marinette's eyes slimmed, and her fists clenched, the mop she had been holding dropped to the ground with a loud noise following it. The ravenette paid no mind.

"What do you mean, 'you haven't changed'? You and I used to be close, we used to be best friends! You were considerate and actually made funny jokes, we did everything together. You were practically my brother. But then you went and fucked it all up by becoming a selfish womanizer!" The ravenette screamed, tears beginning to come to her eyes.

A cold feeling filled the blonde's chest.

It hurt. It hurt him so fucking bad to see her like this. But he couldn't feel that way. Not now, not ever.

A blank expression took over Adrien's features as he shrugged.

"This is the person I've always been, Marinette. You were just too blind to see it. Women mean nothing to me, and neither do you. Women are weak, easy. They come to me for fun, I just enjoy it. They know I don't want anything serious, and that's a risk they're willing to take. Feelings are dumb, and letting them get the best of you is dumb as well." He finished his statement, crossing his arms over his chest.

By now, the tears had spilled over.

Marinette's bluebell eyes glistened as she bit her bottom lip. By now, her nails had dug so hard into her palms she was sure they'd be bleeding by now. But she didn't care.

The ravenette wanted to slap the boy in front of her. She wanted to do it so bad.

But she knew that wouldn't solve anything.

Instead, she stared at the ground. Her stomach churned, and she almost gagged, but for real this time. Marinette trembled as she remained in place.

"So he's really gone, then." she whispered, not looking for an answer. Adrien raised an eyebrow, not knowing what the girl in front of him was talking about.

"The Adrien that I became friends with, my first friend in the whole world is really gone?" She questioned once again. The blonde remained silent.

Marinette stopped trembling and looked up, her eyes boring holes into his. They were wide, filled with anger.

"You always ask why I haven't fallen for you yet?" The ravenette started while smiling, except not a happy smile.

It was almost... psychotic. As if she was letting out feelings that had been trapped for a long time.

The ravenette stepped closer to the blonde, grabbing his shirt collar and yanking him towards her faster than he could react.

For Marinette's size, she was a lot stronger than she appeared.

The two were so close that their noses were almost touching, and Marinette could feel the blonde's breath on her face.

Her heart continued to pound, but she felt neither flustered nor embarrassed. Just... furious.

Adrien's mouth hung open slightly, his eyes wide. At first, he thought she was going to kiss him, but after witnessing the expression on her face he knew that was definitely not the case.

"Well the reason I'm not in love with you like the other idiotic girls I'm surrounded by is because self-absorbed douche bags that use the feminine world as their playtoys aren't really my type." The ravenette concluded, releasing Adrien's shirt and walking away, leaving the rest of the mess for the blonde to clean.

The cafeteria door slammed shut as she left, the thick tension exiting with her.

The blonde stood, dumbstruck.

"What the actual hell...?" His voice trailed off into oblivion.

Adrien sighed and picked the mop back up, finishing the job left for him. The blonde guessed that Marinette had either left or gone to look for the detention room.

The second option was more likely as skipping detention was a dangerous option for her.

As much as Adrien tried to ignore it, the ravenette's words circulated throughout his mind, repeating over and over until he couldn't forget them.

The blond groaned, clenching fist-fulls of fluffy hair in his hands and squeezing his eyes shut.

After a few moments of self-checking, Adrien released the breath he had been holding in, also letting his hands relax as he dropped his arms to his sides.

He stared up at the ceiling, beginning to speak to nothing. "I'm sorry Marinette, but, this is for the better." He started in a melancholy tone.

"Trust me." he added to his last statement.

Adrien shivered.