voices

song for this chapter: driver's license by olivia rodrigo

the light pushed through your eyelids, demanding attention. you groaned and rolled over, denying it. it somehow managed to find its way back, seeping into your room through the window. you blinked, frustrated. just another crappy start to another crappy, monotone day.

except today wasnt going to crappy. and as you remembered a certain boy in a small cafe, your face started to change. eyes crinkled and mouth turned up, you jumped out of bed. today was going to be good, no matter what. you would make it so. and first the first time in a long, long time, you actually wanted to wake up.

~time skip~

30 minutes. hair, makeup, outfit.

20 minutes. check your phone.

10 minutes. get in the car.

9
8
7
6
5 minutes.
driving down the road, in the rain. it was 5 pm. golden hour. sun gleamed in through the droplet covered windows, winding and swirling on the black leather. a shadow reflected with every drop that fell, a story washed away.
ok, calm down. its RAIN for christ's sake.

but you couldn't help it. when you were nervous, your mind wandered. it seeked out fairytales in the pavement and showed patterns in the grass. which was not ideal, considering you were supposed to be driving.
driving.
to the coffee place.
for coffee.

with karl jacobs.

oh god.
what had you gotten yourself into? were you overthinking it? probably. i mean, it was just coffee with a guy. in a friendly, platonic way. which was great, because you saw him as a friend.
totally. right-?

it was confusing. but you didn't have time to dwell on that thought, because suddenly you found yourself pulling into the familiar parking lot by the cafe, and getting out of the car. as you opened the car door, rain started to fall down. it got on your hair, almost messing up your hard work of finally styling it. you quickly ducked back into the car.

fuck.

what did you do now? you hadn't brought an umbrella, which was stupid. you could either drive back home and get one, and be late. or, you could face the rain, ruin your hair and makeup and show up a complete mess, this was NOT good.

after a good 5 minutes of contemplation, you decided to text karl that you would be late and turn back around. as you went to text him, you bumped your car buttons and accidentally opened the front window.

you rushed to close it, but before you could you heard a voice.

"y/n?"

who- oh my god. you recognized that voice. you froze, window half up. "y/n, is that you?"

you sat still, hoping the voice would leave you alone. you didn't want to talk to that voice. that voice was the last on earth that you wanted to hear right now. memories flooded your brain, sounds and mental images overflowing onto you. you shut your eyes, trying to block it all out.

just go away.
please. just leave me alone.

you opened your eyes. slowly you turned around, looking through the rear view mirror.

"so it is you. long time no see, y/n."

540 words

authors note:
HAHAHHAH i'm bringing the ANGST so get ready. ofc will have tws for anything possibly upsetting, but i don't plan on writing anything that bad. decided halfway through writing to bring in this new character, so sorry if it seems rushed lol. also, wtf shame on me i've been gone for SO long. i'm so sorry oml. we're almost at 1k reads and i've been slacking 😃. but i'm back baby, and here to stay. i plan on updating every tuesday/thursday/sunday, so be ready. chapter will probs be 500-1k words :)). lots of ideas for the future, but ill always take any reader input so drop ideas below hehe. love u all mwah goodbye <3