𝐨𝐡 𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐞

The sound of gossip rose from the dusty window ceil that was jammed open. cobwebs filled the musty room full of old and forgotten inventions. Up above the creaky floorboards, was a girl humming a sweet tune. Her voice may not be the silkiest, but it was a gentle sound that filled the room with a homey atmosphere.

          She wore a navy blue dress with simple house shoes. An apron around her waist served as a useful napkin to dust the flour off of her hands while she admired her hard work. The strong scent of cherry pie breezed through the opened window, adding to the delightful fall air. 

          Amongst the front door was a hasty knock, alarming the peaceful girl. She hopped from her place and scurried to the door, to meet her long awaited brother. 

          "B/n! You're finally back." She tightly hugged her brother, he dropped his bag of goods to return the much needed gesture. "Did you miss me, haha?" He pulled away from the short lived hug, and picked up the once disregarded bag. "You've been gone three weeks, how couldn't I?" They migrated from the autumn breeze to the dining room table. "I have a few gifts for you.." B/n suspended his sisters surprise, beaming at her impatient face.

     Her eyes gleamed in the poor lighting at the newly revealed gift. A wooden music box wrapped in a messy bow. She quickly pulled the crimson string and attempted to open the music box. "Here, you need this to open it." He slowly placed a beautiful necklace into her extended palm, to which she hurriedly tried opening the box. She struggled, but  she finally figured out the necklace could be used as a key. After a couple spins, a couple dancing emerged from the tiny box, spinning in circles as it played a scratchy yet catchy lullaby.

"Oh I love it, B/n!" She sprung from her seat and embraced her brother a second time, savoring the rare moment. Another short lived hug, as her quickly let go. "Here, one last thing." He reached into his satchel, pulling out a slightly withered lily. "Oh how divine, thank you! But, you know I like roses..." She turned away solemnly, dramatically resting a hand against her forehead.

"We've been through this Y/n, roses have a hard time surviving down here."

"oh how I dream of wearing a red ballgown covered in roses!" spinning a couple circles, she turned her attention to the now rested pie. "Look! I made a cherry pie, your favorite!" Ignoring her recent statement, he walked over to his sister and placed his hands on her shoulders. "I can get you a rose, very soon actually." Her eyebrows quirked in confusion,  irking him to continue. 

"Only a few miles North form here, there's said to be a castle! And who lives in castles? Rich people! You see they could afford to take care of roses, so the place is covered in them. When I leave tonight, I could get you  one on the way-" cut short of his sentence, a fuming Y/n gave him the dirtiest look she could.

"Tonight? TONIGHT? You JUST got back! Why in heavens are you leaving again?" Arms crossed and face red, she stared to her now cowering brother. " Y/n, we need money! We dont have a farm, you didn't take over mothers work, dad was a indebted drunk, Im the only one working for heavens sake! If we want to be able to have dinner on the plate, I need to work!" 

"But must you sell your inventions for a living? Why cant you go out and get another job? a REAL job?"

"..."

Her statement hurt him, a lot. Inventing was the only thing her enjoyed, and the only thing he could see himself doing for the next forty years.

"Look, you're right. You're the only one who works, but what could I do? Half the town hates me, and I couldn't do half the tasks a lady is expected!" 

"Learn Y/n, learn!-" B/n  stopped his sentence taking a deep breath. "I'm going to start packing for tonight.." He quickly turned away and began to walk towards his room. Y/n could only huff because of the dispute. She knw she was in the wrong, and she hated that she couldn't help around at all. All she could do was clean and pull off a half assed pie. Her lack of basic skill stemmed from a young age. Not having a constant mother figure, and an absent father meant she was stuck by herself.