thirteen

—

i put my hand on my forehead, covering my eyes as an attempt to cover my face to hide my rosiness.

i scan through the menu, as i assumed he was doing the same.

instead, i find his hand on my arm, pulling my arm down from my face.

"don't hide it, it's cute" he says, referencing to my blushing.

i laugh, "it's awfully embarrassing. you sure know how to flatter a girl" i say as i smile at him, then look back down at the menu, anxious of making eye contact for too long.

he's beautiful, really. anyone would be nervous around him. he chuckles, and from the corner of my eye i see him look at the menu too.

after a few moments of silence, he closes his. "find out what you want? it's on me."

"actually, i was eating breakfast when you called, so i'm really not that hungry," i say.

"ah, i see. do you want a drink or anything?"

"i think i'll just get a banana smoothie" i say, closing my menu and putting it on top of his at the end of the table.

the waitress then comes back and takes our order. devin got hash-browns.

as we wait, we have small talk.

"how many people do you live with?"

"3 others" i reply.

"oh, i thought you had more than one brother" he says, more of a question.

"yeah, i have 3. darrel, sodapop and ponyboy. my parents died awhile back"

i can tell he's a bit shocked, probably wasn't expecting that. i said it quite confidently too, i suppose. i'm not scared to talk about it anymore.

"damn, i'm sorry" he says, taking a sip of his water.

"oh, it's totally alright. sorry if that made it weird" i say with an awkward laugh.

he then continues to ask more about me, like how i got my scars. they've healed quite a bit.

i tell him about how they happened and how dallas saved me, which lead me into telling him about the whole gang.

our food arrived in the middle, but i continued to talk as we ate.

"dallas winston?" he asks, wiping his face.

"yeah, he actually was the one that got me to dance with you last night-"

"yeah, i'm real familiar with him" he says bluntly.

"oh..is that a bad thing?" i ask confused.

he spins his fork around his plate "nah, he used to be friends with an old buddy of mine is all. i've heard some things about him"

"oh, really? like what?" i ask.