Chapter 4: Bonds of Promise

A flurry of breeze came in through the open window, billowing the curtains and ruffling the platinum blond hair of the boy sitting on his bed with his arms and head over the windowsill. He knew that the chilly air of the let up rain shower could worsen his cold, still he couldn't help but get tempted by the rainbow that painted the sky vivid with colors. The radiant view outside of leaves and flowers lustrated by rain drops also seemed to refresh his mind after a long day in solitude. He breathed in the scent of asphalt and looked out on the street. It was about time his closest friends return from school.

Soon enough, two figures could been seen walking down the glistening road. One of them had bright orange hair, and the other jet black. Both of their hairstyles are striking because of how they stick out upright, but right now there wasn't even a trace of that flashiness, what with the way they were sopping wet.

'They could very well be some different people without their trademarks.' — thought Norman, chuckling with amusement, his fingers curling around his mouth. Then he noticed the cherry umbrella hanging in Emma's hand; he had to wonder how come they managed to get soaked in the light rain even after having that.

"We're home!"

The door burst opened with an energetic push of Emma's hand, and her jovial voice carried through the air.

"You don't need to be that loud. Everyone can hear you just fine," Ray claimed with a sigh. Smiling ruefully, Emma apologized, "Ehehe... Sorry!" He decided to take this chance to tease this best friend of his again after so long.

"Emma, you're like a kid, bouncing happily to be home to play," Ray smirked. "Wha-!?" Emma whirled around toward him, chiding, "I'm not!"

Her pout made a grin find its way on his face despite his best attempts to hold it in, which he hid with his hand, looking away. However, for all his jest, Ray was actually feeling quite bittersweet. Their banter aroused déjà vu in his mind; surely it was from the morning of that fateful day when everything began with Conny's shipment. Emma was sulking over being called a 5 years old by Ray back then.

'Just like this... taking one step at a time just like this will be enough.' — Ray found himself wishing for when Emma and he can be like that time again.

In the meantime, everyone present in the scene witnessed this exchange between Ray and Emma agape. Considering how things were even this morning before they left the house, their sudden development was bewildering indeed. Abrupt thought it was, the Grace Field House and Goldy Pond fellows who watched the duo over the years obviously felt glad for them all the same. They just smiled tenderly, knowing better than to point it out and make those two conscious of it yet again.

"Oh no, you two are soaking wet! You're gonna catch a cold if you don't dry yourselves soon!"

Before anybody could let out a 'welcome home' to the pair, a frantic yelp came out of the worrywart that is Gilda. She hastily trotted inside, and her hurried footsteps returned shortly after, two white towels in her hands. Ray aptly caught the one that was tossed at him.

Gilda herself started drying Emma's wet hair with the other towel, making Emma smile wryly at her fretfulness. She scolded her, "Geez Emma, how could you let yourself get dripping wet like this?! What if you get sick like Norman? You need to warm yourself up right now." The other girl could only hope to assuage her, "Some little rain won't make me sick, Gilda. Don't worry about me. Speaking of Norman, how is he doing?"

A smile finally appeared on Gilda's face. "He took medicines, so he's quite better now. But he's still resting in his room just in case," she informed. Emma took hold of the towel and stepped aside from her, mussing her hair on her own as she said, "Got it. I'm gonna go talk to him for a bit." She scampered swiftly before Gilda could stop her, seeing as she was still shouting at her to at least change out of her drenched clothes.