Chapter 5: High Fever

There wasn't supposed to be sensibility in a state of oblivion, still a fuzzy sensation floated through the woozy mind. Like being in a delirium. A faint cool sensation flowed all of a sudden. But it faded away all too soon. After what felt like boundless hours, a different chilliness was pressed firmly; this time much colder, and somewhat moist. It worked its magic on the heat and dizziness, mitigating enough to fall into a peaceful slumber.

A pair of green eyes fluttered open, trying to find focus in the blurriness. Once they concentrated quite a bit, it became clear that the fogginess wasn't only because of her sleepy eyes. Apparently, actual steam was drifting from somewhere on the other side of her periphery. A savory aroma wafting in the air reached her nostrils. Her gaze flickered to her side and took in the sight of a boy sitting by the bed, watching over her.

He was there looking after her, just like he promised.

Emma felt slightly taken aback by the fact that Ray was staring at her in her sleep. She tried to sit up a little too quickly, which only induced lightheadedness, causing her to fall back into the pillow.

"Whoa, take it easy. You're still sick, and you just woke up," Ray reproached her, lending his hand to her back to assist her. When she was fully up, she peered up at him with inquisitive eyes.

"Hey, how long have you been here?" she queried.

"Not long," he replied languidly.

Seeing that almost-dried damp cloth that has fallen on her lap though, Emma had her doubts. She hazily remembered feeling it on her forehead. After that, she was in a deep sleep. It must have been some time since then, as she felt pretty refreshed. But deciding that it would be futile to press someone as taciturn as Ray about it any further, she dropped the matter.

"I think I should copy the class notes from you," she attempted to change the topic.

Ray sat back down on the stool grabbing a bowl of piping hot soup from the bedside table.

"But first, let's drink some soup."

He scooped up a spoonful of the rich broth, softly blowing on it to cool it down faster. Emma reached out her hands to take it from him. "Ray, I can do that myself," she asserted with a smile. But he pulled away out of her grasp, simply stating "I know."

"Then-"

"Emma, let me do this at least. Please," Ray interjected, his tone uncharacteristically pleading.

"Okay..."

Hearing him implore so earnestly, Emma couldn't refuse him any more. Her head just tilted quizzically, wondering what was up with Ray. He didn't seem the type of person to insist on helping someone with something that they certainly don't need help with in the first place. He's clear cut and practical, that much she knew.

Emma opened her mouth as Ray began to feed her. Despite her taste buds being dulled by the fever, a light delectable flavor spread through her mouth. She could only imagine just how delicious the actual food tasted and smelled like. The savor was kind of familiar.

"Did you make it?" she tried to verify.

He nodded in answer.

"I knew it! Your cooking really is amazing. I've always wanted to tell you that."

"I know."

Another curt answer. Once more Emma felt like she was failing at holding a conversation with Ray. "Well, aren't you confident!" she sulked dejectedly. He looked up at her as if snapping out of a daze. "That's not what I meant," he corrected. For a moment he seemed to hesitate over whether to clarify or not.