Chapter 2: Step and a Step

Warm sunlight filtered through the lightly colored curtains, illuminating the spacious dining hall of Emma and her family's jumbo apartment. As the aroma of appetizing breakfast permeated the air, all the children piled in one after another, ready to start a brand new day and go to school.

Emma searched for two faces among the rowdy bunch, but she couldn't find Norman or Ray anywhere. She left the place, sprinting through the long corridor in search of them. But there was no sign of either. Not plenty of time was left until they leave the house. Feeling something was off and slightly worried, she decided to go see them straight.

Obviously, she'd feel weird barging into Ray's room given their awkwardness around each other. Norman was her only choice. And so, she stood before the door to his room, taking a deep breath before knocking on the door.

"Norman? It's me, Emma. Are you in there?" she called. A response was heard after a while, "Come in, Emma! I was hoping someone would stop by my room soon." She promptly opened the door, only to find Norman still lying on the bed covered under a sheet, his face rather pale. "What happened? Are you all right?!" Emma cried out, clearly flustered to see him like this for the "first time". He chuckled in response, "Ah, that's right. You haven't seen me sick before, so you don't know yet."

Norman slowly sat up, accepting Emma's help while doing so. He explained to her about his frail and sickly body that he has always had. She frowned, crestfallen, "So you've always suffered like this often since childhood? I'm sorry to hear that." His expression softened into a smile. "You don't have to be sorry, Emma. I'm used to it. I'm just sorry that I can't join you to school today. Will you be okay alone with Ray?"

Emma visibly stiffened a bit upon hearing that name. "Uh, I'll be fine. But I don't know if he'll feel comfortable with me alone. I just hope I can act normal around him," she squeaked quickly. On the contrary, Norman realized that it was the perfect chance for Ray and Emma to talk alone and break the ice with him not being there.

He decided to give her a gentle push.

"Listen, Emma, I've been wanting to talk to you about this for quite a while myself," taking a breath, Norman continued, "You seem guarded of sort, with Ray. I know he seems stoic from the outside, but you know, the three of us had always been the best of friends since childhood. He really cares about everyone, and about you. You two always had each other's back when we were in the demon world. If you try to talk it out with him, I'm sure you'll reconnect with him again. I bet it'll make Ray happy."

He wanted to mention how Ray has been out of it lately because of this, but thought better of it knowing he would kill him if he heard it; adding instead, "At least I know I'd be very happy for us three to be close again, together like before." His eyes squinted in nostalgia.

Looking down in silence, Emma listened to those words quietly. She nodded, her smile melancholic, "I heard. Actually, I want to make friends with him too. But I guess I told myself to talk with him normally so many times that it backfired instead. My brain freezes when I see him. I'll try not to think about it too much and start speaking straightaway next time." Her hands curled into fists, nodding her head a few times as if to reassure herself and make up her mind. Norman couldn't help but smile.

"Good. You do that. Just don't forget to take an umbrella with you today," he said. "Umbrella?" Emma tiled her head. The boy looked out the window to stare at the clouds, clarifying, "It looks sunny but the forecast said it might rain today. The humidity has been changing into chilliness lately. That's why I'm feeling under the weather." He looked back at her again. "I'm awaiting good news from you once I'm back!"

Hearing Norman's expectant voice made Emma flash the signature bright smile of her own. "Mmhm! Just you wait and see. Thanks, Norman. Get well soon," she cheerfully exclaimed. It was about time she got going to not be late. She still needed to find Ray before returning to eat breakfast. Her last yelling echoed, "I'll tell Zack on my way to take care of you. Bye!"