Chapter 6

Juliette hadn't been lying about the quality of ice cream. Charles had never been to Morgenstern's Parlor before, but the cold cream was thick, sweet, and the absolute perfect temperature. He assumed the temperature bit was due to the ice mage working behind the counter. The man held the base of a large metal bowl as another employee whisked its contents. Charles watched with mild fascination as small blue ice crystals formed on the side of bowl and the liquid slowly thickened into rich ice cream.

Juliette also hadn't been lying about her finances. When they reached the counter, Juliette started digging through her pockets, and Charles saw an impressive flash of coins. However, he stopped her with a hand on her arm and insisted that he pay.

"You sure, Mister Abbot?" she had asked.

"Of course, Juliette. My treat."

After they had finished their ice cream—leaving nothing but empty silver bowls behind—they continued their walk home. The stroll was fairly uneventful, save for a moment when Charles spotted Mister Davis in the distance. Charles was so intent on not speaking with the older gentleman that he promptly changed course, turning down a side street to avoid him.

"You look like you just saw a ghost," Juliette commented, glancing over her shoulder as they changed direction. "Is your thief over there?"

"No, no," Charles said, putting his head down. "Just a customer who won't leave me alone."

"What does he want?"

"A specific memory. Someone who can fly."

"Huh." Juliette looked thoughtful. "I knew someone, once, who could fly."

Her admission nearly stopped him in his tracks. Charles had been asking around for months and no one seemed to know anyone with that particular gift. "Really?"

Juliette nodded. "A girl named Emma. She lived with me, in the orphanage."

As much as Charles didn't like asking children for memories, the allure of having Mister Davis off of his case for a few months was tempting. "You don't suppose she'd be willing to sell me a copy of a flying memory? I'd reimburse her for it."

Juliette shrugged. "I haven't seen her since I left Silvers. But she'd probably take you up on your offer... if she's still there, that is." She frowned. "She probably still is. No one really ever leaves that place."

"You did," Charles pointed out.

She shrugged again. "Lucky break. Mister Barnes was looking for talent—apparently a seven-year-old who could shoot lightning out of her fingers and lift people in the air was impressive. As for the others? Lucky breaks are few and far between. Especially for the mages. Everyone knows that new parents don't want a mage. 'Too difficult to control,'" she quoted, mimicking a high-pitched voice.

Charles' heart sunk. Despite the lightness in Juliette's tone, he could sense the underlying sadness. Survivor's guilt, he thought to himself. It was something he had struggled with himself—How had he been so lucky to escape a life of beatings and punishment and poverty when others tried and failed?

"My fiancée volunteers at Silvers," he said, rubbing his arm. "After we catch this thief, if you want to go over there with her, say hi to some of your friends..."

"Thanks for the offer, Mister Abbot, but I don't think that's a good idea." Juliette was looking ahead now, at the cobblestone streets sloping their way into the nicer part of the city. "I got it pretty good. And I don't want to flaunt that in front of them—it just doesn't seem right."

"I understand," Charles said, thinking, once again, how unfair it was that a ten-year-old was stuck with these thoughts.

They continued in silence for the rest of their walk, however, Juliette perked up when Charles pointed out his house. Her eyes flitted up and down the stone exterior, and she nearly tripped as she ran up the front steps.