Chapter 15

Charles and Cecilia re-entered the ballroom just as Juliette's last bolt of lightning left her hand. There was a thunderous applause from the crowd as she took a few bows, grinning all the while.

Thomas Monroe led the applause, clapping his large hands together. "Marvelous," he said, stepping forward and shaking her hand. "You, my girl, are an extremely talented child."

Juliette looked a little worse for the wear—hair a bit disheveled, fingers coated in soot from her lightning work, cheeks flushed with fatigue—but she grinned wildly, shaking his hand back in earnest. "Thank you so much, Mister Monroe."

Monroe turned and surveyed the room, pausing when his eyes fell on Charles. He approached him and shook his hand as well. "Charles, she is a wonder. Thank you for the show. I'm sure Thaddeus charged you an arm and a leg for her."

"Ehhh..." Charles said, realizing it wasn't worth the lie; they both knew about Mister Barnes' prices.

Although everyone seemed to be waiting for Monroe to step away from him, the retired battle mage lingered. "Actually, Charles, do you mind coming up with me to the library? There's something I want to discuss with you.

"Right now?" Charles asked, acutely aware of how many eyes were on him. "I don't want to pull you away from your guests—"

"Nonsense," he said. "It will just be a few minutes, a short chat before we return to the festivities." He gestured at Cecilia. "Cecilia can keep an eye on Juliette if you're worried about leaving her unattended."

"Go on, Charles," Cecilia said, shooing him away. Then she looked down at Juliette and gave her a warm smile. "Shall we find that ice mage again? I think you've earned another bowl of ice cream."

Juliette's eyes lit up. "Yes please!" She scrambled to Cecilia's side and hardly looked back as she was led away.

With Juliette safely in Cecilia's care, Charles let himself be led away by Mister Monroe. A few people tried to intercept them as they made their way out of the ballroom, but Monroe was able to brush them to the side, promising he'd return shortly. Charles caught a dark glare from Mister Morgan, but did his best not to let it ruffle him.

They traveled up the grand staircase to the second floor, pausing at a tall door engraved with flowers and swirling vines. Monroe reached into his pocket, pulled out a sachet of herbs, and sprinkled them as he muttered an enchantment. When he finished, Charles heard the lock click open, and soon they were both inside.

Charles loved his home office. Despite how cramped and disheveled it was, it was one of his favorite rooms. He and James had shoved as many bookshelves as they could to fit in the small space to house the volumes they had accumulated over the years. But the Monroe library put their small collection to shame. This library had two floors, with the upper balconies accessible via spiral staircase. Each wall was packed with books, but there were also several display cases throughout the space, housing select volumes that one could admire through glass.

Mister Monroe went to the front of the library, where there was a collection of leather arm chairs and a side table with several glasses and a decanter with brandy. As he started to pour them both drinks, Charles paused by one of the glass displays. Inside was a book bound in what appeared to be wrinkled, brown leather. Words were imprinted in the cover, but time had worn it down so much that Charles couldn't make out what it said.

Monroe caught Charles looking at the book and chuckled. "Be careful with that one. I paid an arm and a leg for it. Then again, nearly everything I've acquired from Mister Fox costs me an arm and a leg." He gestured at another glass case closer to him. "This one right here? Collection of first century poetry. I'm too ashamed to say how much I handed over for that thing. But it reminded me of Adelaide and I couldn't quite say no..."