Chapter 12

Hardly a second had passed after Cecilia's departure that Juliette scampered down the stairs, with Lillian following more slowly behind her.

"Who was that?" the little girl asked. "Your beloved?" She stretched the word out, letting the word linger on her tongue like a piece of hard candy.

"My fiancée, actually," Charles admitted as James joined them. "Cecilia Monroe."

Lillian's brows furrowed at the name while Juliette's eyes widened. "Hold on!" the little girl said, holding out her arms. "Is she related to Thomas Monroe? The famous earth mage?"

Charles nodded. "That's her father."

Juliette's jaw dropped. "No way! How come you didn't tell us? He's my hero." She leaned on the banister excitedly. "Is his daughter a mage too? Are they this world-class tag team duo together?"

Charles laughed. "No. Cecilia is normal, not a drop of mage blood in her. But that doesn't make her any less special," he added when he caught the look of disappointment on Juliette's face. "She's one of the kindest, most caring women I've ever met. And she came over because her father is being recognized for his charity work and we've all been invited to a dinner to celebrate the news."

Lillian pursed her lips, turned around, and started heading up the stairs. "I'm not going," she said.

"Wait—why?" Charles asked, taking a step up after her.

Lillian paused, turned, and glared at him. "Did you not hear me before? Those cultists sounded like high-borns. And the Monroes and their friends are as high-born as they come."

Charles couldn't believe the accusation in her tone. "So you think my fiancée and her family are consorting with child murderers?"

"I don't know what to think," Lillian admitted. "All I know is that I can't trust anyone."

"She could be right," James said, running his hands over his forearms. "The Monroes know a lot of people in power. If Lillian is right, and the cult is made up of high-borns, it's likely that someone present tonight is member of this cult—or at minimum is aware of its existence."

"Well," Charles said, still looking up at Lillian, "that's a reason for you to come! Maybe you'll recognize someone—"

"What if they recognize me?" Lillian bit back. "I'm the one at risk here, not you. Besides, you saw my memory. You'll have just as good of a chance of recognizing someone as I would." She turned away from him. "I'm not going. That's final." And with that, she vanished up the stairs.

Charles nearly ran up after her, but James grabbed his arm. "Let her go. She's right; it's too dangerous for her."

"Can I still go?" Juliette said, bouncing on her heels with her hands clasped as if in prayer. "I still can't believe you're engaged to Thomas Monroe's daughter!"

Charles couldn't help but let out a chuckle. Although he was annoyed that Lillian wouldn't be coming with them, Juliette's excitement made up for it. "Yes, of course you can still come. Have you been to a banquet before?"

Juliette nodded. "Mister Barnes gets us invited to all sorts of events. I've been to probably eight or nine fancy dinners in the last year. I even have a party dress!"

"Great. And you'll come too, James?"

"Of course. Wouldn't miss it," James said with a grin. "I've been meaning to break out my velvet suit..."