Chapter 13

Reyna walked back to her rooms, a giddiness settled over her. Sure, the princess had gotten in enough arguments with her father before, but this one felt different. Usually arguments left her crying in some hidden corner or getting drunk with Marie out in the city, but this time, she felt accomplished, and in need to celebrate. She would've gladly gone out to enjoy her victory–even though she didn't win anything– sadly a baby dragon was at the forefront of her mind. When she made it to her rooms without incident, Reyna quickly picked up the tray sitting in front of the door and went in.

A clang echoed through the rooms as she'd dropped the platter. Reyna's eyes went wide, as did her mouth. "The hell happened here?" She muttered while stepping over the tray, deeper into the trashed foyer. The princess spun slowly amid the wreckage. A strange sense of foreboding filled her mind, but she shoved it away.

"Helios!" She yelled. The worst situations slowly entering thoughts. He could've been taken. Somebody could've found him while looking for something in the room. "Helios, where are you?" Panic quickly seeped in when he didn't come running.

Reyna ran through her rooms, searching through the wreckage. When she went to her bedroom, she threw the covers off the bed to reveal a small sleeping dragon curled into a ball, snoring softly. Reyna released a breath, and slowly the fear left her tense body. "Gods above you scared me." She confessed to Helios, even though he was sound asleep. Reyna picked him up and cradled him before laying down, the motions not even stirring the dragon. The two slept like that, the mess around them forgotten, until a loud bang erupted through the room.

"What the rutting hell?!" Reyna's eyes shot open and her body jerked upward, practically throwing Helios to the ground. Luckily his wings flared just in time to grant him a smooth landing.

"Oh, no." Reyna breathed out. "Hide," She whisper yelled at Helios, who promptly started running towards the closet. His claws made a scraping noise against the bare stone. Reyna heard the hiss of cloth as he hid in her dresses right before Marie came stomping in.

"What did you do to your room?" She looked livid.

"Hey Marie. You look good today," Reyna started, trying to pacify her best friend whose eyes had murder in them. "Shouldn't you be taking the day off?"

"Reyna, I swear to the gods if you don't tell me what happened this instant I will get Carm up here, and neither of us want that." Marie threatened. The princess winced just thinking about the hell her aunt would rain down on her for creating such a mess, not that it was Reyna's fault.

Lies quickly went through her head, most unconvincing until she landed on a bit of truth. "I had a discussion," She bit out the last word. It was more like a yelling match. "With the King and James." Tears came to her eyes as the hollow feeling of hopelessness filled her. Reyna would have to marry that damn lord and nothing would change that. Marie's face instantly softened in understating. Regret lit in her eyes before her arms enveloped Reyna in a hug.

"That's not much of an excuse for creating this–" She gestured toward the rooms, "mess. But I understand." The two sat there for a few minutes still embracing each other. Reyna wondered who had caused the destruction of her rooms. The only suspect was the hungry dragon hiding among her dresses. Hopefully he won't start trying to eat them.

"Come on, lets clean this up." The princess finally said when the tears stopped flowing.

"No, you should stay off your feet." Marie stood and dusted herself off. "I'll clean it up."

"Not a chance."

"Were you always this difficult?"

"Yep." Reyna made sure to pop the p. Marie only rolled her eyes.