Chapter 1

It was warm in the studio, despite the chill running up Luke's spine. He and Julie were on the piano bench, close enough to touch, their hands overlapping the other's on the keys. He felt so close to her, and every time she even moved an inch, his breath would catch in his throat. He felt like his world revolved around her, and he couldn't seem to remember a day he didn't look at her and think that she was perfect for him. She turned to look at him, her famous smile plastered on her face. His fingers fumbled over the keys, slipping and leaving the moment on a sour note.

"Sorry," he said, avoiding her eyes.

She laughed, short and sweet, the sound resonating in his ears.

"It's okay. You don't need to apologize. You never have to."

The words seemed almost hesitant, but then she intertwined his fingers with her own, and he completely forgot she had said anything. She stared at their hands for a moment before looking up at him, her eyes filled with uncertainty. Luke stared back at her, confused.

"You okay Jules?"

She was normally enthusiastic, funny, almost giddy. But now that he realized this, her features seemed to have been steady and cautious, unlike her usual rapid pace, and her eyes looked glazed over.

She opened her mouth to say something but the words didn't come out. He cupped a hand under her chin, lifting her head to look at him.

"You know you can tell me anything."

He tightened his grip on her hand, and she gave him a smile in return, but it still didn't have its usual glow.

"I....."

Julie stops short, her eyes widening in horror, almost in shock.

"Julie, what's wrong..."

He waits for a response, but her eyes flicker closed and she collapses in his arms.

"Jules!"

He shakes her arm, but she doesn't move. He continues to shake her, harder and harder, but he can feel her grow cold.

"Jules!"

He's scared now, small tears escaping him and flowing down his cheeks. He can't lose her. Not now. Not ever. He frantically whips his head around, searching for Reggie, Alex, even Ray. He doesn't care. Someone needs to help him. Help Julie. He stares down at her, trying and failing to see if she has a pulse.

'She's slipping away.'

Luke shakes her again, trying to remain positive and strong and just be there for Julie. Bits of black ash swirl into the air, the world around him instantly growing colder. The doors to the garage slam open, the chilling wind whipping through the studio. The lights flicker off, the few candles they lit burn out, and all Luke can do is watch as Julie crumbles beneath him. His eyes go wide in horror, and he turns away, gasping for air, the adrenaline rush finally sinking in.

'This isn't happening. This isn't happening.'

He falls to his knees, a heap of salted tears and ash on the carpet. A laugh rings throughout the studio, dark and evil. He knows that laugh. He lifts his head from the floor, spotting Caleb in the doorway.

This all felt too real. Way too real.

He opens his mouth to scream, but nothing comes out. Clutching at his throat, he watches as Caleb shifts into Nick and back to Caleb, almost as if he was staring at a malfunctioning projection.

Or a hologram.

Guess this is what people these days call karma.

He tries to stand, but the wind has grown too strong, pushing him back to the floor. Caleb watches him as he struggles, a sly smile forming on his lips, and his voice seems to grow louder. The darkness crowds around Luke as he hears voices calling to him. He can distinctly hear Julie, but it is taken over by Caleb's laugh, and he just sinks deeper into the nightmare. He presses his hands over his ears, trying to block out the noise, but the whistling of the wind keeps tearing through his mind. He can hear a faint melody playing, taunting him. He knows that tune, but he doesn't know it. It's like a distant memory, but it isn't his. Soon, the eerie silhouette is lined with Julie's voice, but it sounds wrong. Not like he remembers her voice. Iy sounds forced, stripped, and strained. Like the life had just been completely sucked out of the words she was singing.

He closes eyes, the world around him spinning so fast it's a blur. He tries to scream, tries to shout but he can't. He wishes he was awake and free of this nightmare. Of this alternate reality. He wishes he was safe and with Julie and everything could go back to how it was. And before he can wish for anything else, the wind dies down and he is sucked into a horrific silence.