Chapter Three

Back in the palace I find my way to an empty guest room and lock the door behind me. I look around the room filled with furniture draped with white cloth to keep the dust away, the curtains are drawn so only a small sliver of moonlight is visible through the thick velvet. Leaning my back against the door I slide to the ground and let the tears fall freely. I can feel the charcoal lining my eyes and the rouge on my cheeks smear as I rest my head in my hands. Violent sobs escape me and my body convulses in time with the gasps.

My fingers slide into my hair and pull desperately at my scalp, I lift my head and look at the ceiling painted with flowers. The petals spike out in all directions and their large bulbous shape reminds me of dandelion fluff. Their red color looks as though they have been soaked in fresh blood. They are blood lilies, a symbol of strength and power.

I remember the vase Ashton had knocked from his desk with the single flower inside and I feel something let go inside of me. A pulse of energy shoots out from my body causing the windows to chatter and the furniture to go flying in all directions. Rain soaks the floors while blood begins to drip from my nose and ears. My sight blurs but my tears don't cease, as I begin to lose consciousness I hear distant yells and running feet, "Princess Nisla!" Someone calls from the otherside of the door.

I can feel the person bang on the door, my back still resting against it. I lose control of my body and begin to fall forward, another release of energy escapes me and I can hear the door splinter. I see images of guards looking down at me, I see their mouths move but I can't hear what they say. Soon another face is looking at me, a face with dark hair and eyes. Ashton wraps his arms around me and lifts me towards his chest. I can feel his heart race as he carries me quickly out of the room and down the hall. I try to struggle to escape his hold, remembering what Kira had said at the tavern. He only tightens his arms around me and I stop struggling, letting the darkness lining my vision to take over.

When my eyes open I find myself in a field of wildflowers. Buttercups, daisies, forget me nots, snapdragons, and blood lilies litter the landscape. I'm sitting alone on a blanket with pillows and a spread of meats, cheeses, breads, and fruits. A plate with grapes, strawberries, and what looks to be gouda sits in the lap of the silk ice blue dress I'm wearing. A summer breeze blows through the valley causing flowers to dance in the wind and my hair to flow around my shoulders.

Suddenly there are three figures in front of me, all men who look to be in their late twenties. They are dirty and haggard in their riding leathers and unshaven faces. A scar marrs one of the men's faces and another looks as though his mouth is stitched together. The man in the middle steps forward and removes his hood to reveal a mask of wood covering his features. The mask has been carved and painted to look like a lion snarling, its nose scrunched and sharp teeth bared, "Princess Nisla." The masked man says in a high voice that in no way matches his physic, " How is your honeymoon with your beloved."

I look around for Ashton but find him nowhere, I glare up at the men, "Who are you and how did you find us?" I question, trying to keep my voice from wavering.

The man bends down and grabs for my hand resting on the ground next to me. He grips it tightly and fingers the large diamond ring on my finger. He tilts his head towards it, I can't tell if he is looking at me or the ring through the mask, "That is quite the beautiful ring you have there."

I pull my hand away and scoot away from them, causing the plate of food in my lap to fall across the blanket. I send a small stream of energy to each of the men testing and feeling them for magic. Before the energy can reach them I feel it being sucked out of me and towards the lion mask. More and more energy drains from me and I try to shut off the flow but to my horror I find I can't. The man is sucking the magic, the energy, out of me. Panic grips me and I send a separate, forth, strand of energy away from us back towards the summer palace Ashton and I decided to spend our honeymoon at. The strand searches for Ashton winding through the rooms and passageways. I feel as it connect to him and I send a single word through the connection, help. When the last of my energy is sucked into the mask I feel my muscles go limp and I have to force my eyelids open. I look at the men and under one word, "How?"

This time the man with the scar speaks, his smile twisting his face into a revolting vision, "I see you've discovered our anti-magic tools, designed to take down the strongest witch, the witch of all witches. Designed to take down you!"

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Make sure to vote for the story......please- A.K. Coffman