Chapter 17 - The Future

The Doctor slowly awoke from his nap, still tired and woozy from the mental processing the Daleks forced him into. Brushing his mane and straightening his coat he trotted out onto the main floor. He was in a unit separate from the main base set up for sleeping quarters just in case one sector was raided by those nasty creatures. Just the thought of them put a sour taste in his mouth. Today was just not his day it seemed. The group had been split up for so long that he felt a distance between them all. It was a first considering they'd been so tightly knit, even in times of trouble. So many new experiences and he was still so young by Time Lord standards. Gallophrey may have been long behind him but there was still more to come.

Berry and Spark were gathered around a pony with a hind wheel brace since his legs had stopped working, holding a hodge-podge metal sphere with a large button in it.

"I call this Dalekanium, since it's made from an acid containing a liquid version of the metal. You see the thing about Daleks is that their only vulnerabilities come from themselves. If we can use that method it could give us a high advantage at ridding this planet of those foul beasts. Quite poetic in a way actually."

He rotated the sphere in his hooves, letting them observe the mechanism. It was a simple explosive yet very effective. The only problem being was the lack of resources. Dalekanium had to be stripped off the shells of dead or nonfunctioning Daleks, which was a rarity in and of itself. The somber tone was in the air again, Susan looking around confused as if she sensed something. The Doctor could almost sense it too, like something inevitable was going to happen.

"Now, we have word that the Daleks are going to plant a bomb around here soon. We don't know how and we don't know when. That's our major issue so we may need to reloca-"

Just before the stallion could finish his sentence a loud rumble shook the entire building. Crumbs of dust dribbled down from the ceiling as the Dalek barrage from outside waged on. Gunfire could be heard, the first from a once peaceful race now forced to resort to cruel violence. He handed the Dalekanium bombs to some of the soldiers as another advantage point in the ever-growing war.

"We've got to escape, NOW! Go, go, GO!"

Ponies ran frantically to and fro towards the exit, yet somehow able to do so in an orderly fashion. A Dalek screamed, the Dalekanium acid drooling down their seamless casings. It melted them as it should, the perfect design. The Doctor was witnessing everything. It was the first time he'd ever seen a true battle, both sides in nearly equal forces. It was terrifying, and he never wanted it to ever happen again.

Luckily they were able to arrive at the secondary shelter where the surviving escapees from their previous location met up with them. Just another terrifying word to sum up the whole moment, survive. Not everypony had made it alive as known by the headcount. With a deep breath and a heavy heart, he fully got back onto his hooves and carried on forward.

"Doctor, are you alright?" asked Spark heavily concerned.

"Yes, yes. I think that I'll be just fine. It's this blasted war between pony and Dalek that sickens me. Get Berry and Susan back here, we're going to stop this Dalek invasion on Equus once and for all."

————————————————————————

The Dalek base stationed in Canterlot laid on top of the mountain, connected to several mine shafts. The plan was to send two of their chief technicians, Berry, Spark, and one of the few Griffons for extra muscle. The older stallion, the grandfather of a stallion that Susan had been spending a lot of time with, continued to develop the Dalekanium acid and bombs that would soon be the main artillery.

The Doctor was off to the side near some bails of hay, taking stock of their resources. He saw Susan trot up from behind him and greeted her with a warm smile and a small hug.