Chapter 10

The elves immediately had the trolls restrained by holding their arms behind their backs, having them knelt down on their knees before Zora and Thana. From the look on Zora's face, their fate wasn't going to be a good one.
But all the trolls could focus on was that their friend was gone and unlike last time, they couldn't bring her back.

"I can't believe you would risk your lives to save a Lost Troll." Zora said. "After all the fighting between your ancestors and theirs. Especially for a troll as weak-minded as her." Zora looked back at Aria's lifeless body on the ground.

"You're a monster!" Poppy barked at the Elf Queen. "Aria was strong enough to put her own life in danger and believed whole-heartedly that she could save her tribe!" Zora sneered at the pink troll and chuckled. "And we will finish what she started!"

"And how do you believe you're gonna do that?" Zora asked. "The entire tribe is GONE!" Poppy felt a rage inside of her that she had never felt before. Without hesitation she whipped out her hair and struck Zora, knocking her over. When Zora recovered, she looked up at Poppy with her eyes full of fury. "You trolls need to learn some respect!" She snatched a beating weapon from one of the other elves and rose it up, ready to hit the pink troll as her guard shoved her to the ground. Poppy shut her eyes tightly and awaited the hit. But it never came...only a yelp followed by a grunting sound that wasn't her own. When she opened her eyes her heart dropped.

"Branch!" Poppy cried as she knelt down beside him. He had braced himself in front of Poppy and took the hit to his back. Thankfully he was okay, just wincing in pain. Poppy held him close and hugged his head while stroking his aching back.

"Hey! No one hurts the boy toy!" Barb snarled, trying to struggle free of her guard. Poppy looked at Branch and held his cheeks.

"Why would you do that?" Poppy said sadly, her heart breaking to see how much pain Branch was in.

"I-I couldn't watch them hurt you." Branch whimpered, trying to recover from the hit.

***

Aria gently opened her eyes. Her entire mind was a blur. She looked around and didn't recognize her surroundings. Everything was dark, nearly pitch black. She slowly got to her feet, stumbling slightly but soon regained her balance.

"Hello?" Aria called out into the darkness. Where was everyone? "Echo?!" She called again to her faithful guardian. She looked down at her guardian gem, it was gray and faded. Echo was gone. "A-am...am I...dead?" She muttered to herself.

"Not yet..." A voice said from in front of her. A gentle voice. A familiar voice. Aria looked up and saw a figure with glowing mist around it. It was a troll. Looking almost like Aria, but with long blue hair with faded gray tips. Aria couldn't believe her eyes.

"Mama?" She asked with wide eyes. The troll smiled at Aria as she outstretched her arms for a hug. "Mama! It's really you!" Aria ran over and hugged her mother, burying her head into her shoulder. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, sweetie." Her mother, Alana said. "Look at you, my girl is all grown up." She broke away from the hug slightly but still held her daughter's cheek. Aria smiled, wiping a tear from her eye. "But you can't stay here for too long." Aria looked up at her mother, confused by her words. "You have a tribe to save." Alana said. Aria lowered her head, feeling defeated.

"I'm sorry mama. I really tried." Aria sniffed. "But...I wasn't strong enough. Even with Kairi watching out for me, and my friends." Alana held her daughter's cheek in her hand and raised her head up to meet her own.

"Why do you think Kairi came to you in the first place?" Alana asked her. Aria looked up at her, not knowing how to answer. "She saw your determination and spirit, and we both agreed that you deserved her protection on your journey."