Chapter 8

??? POV

The twins had been running for almost an hour straight, and they were starting to feel it. Their adrenaline was slowly running out, and the pains in their sides were increasing with every step they took. But since something dangerous seemed to happen every time they stopped moving, they were motivated to keep going. 

"After all this running, P.E. testing should be a breeze," Conner said through heavy wheezes.

''And it was'', I said with a laugh 

"We're almost there," Alex said unconvincingly. "Just a little farther!" 

The forest had changed as they ran through it. The trees weren't so thick, and there was more space and grass between them. More sunlight fell through the branches, so nothing was in the dark. The path became wider, too, and much more visible. 

The twins didn't feel as threatened by their surroundings; the forest almost grew friendlier the closer they traveled to the Corner Kingdom.

 Conner collapsed to the ground. He was breathing harder than a fish out of water. 

"I can't run anymore! I can't take another step!" he said with his limbs spread out as if he were making a snow angel in the dirt. 

"We can't stop moving until we get into the Corner Kingdom," Alex reminded him through her own heavy breathing. 

"I think we're there," Conner said. 

"How do you know?" Alex asked. 

"That's how," Conner said, and pointed upward.

 In the distance, a tall tower was visible above the treetops. It was circular and made of square stones. There was a single window near the top, just below the pointed roof made of hay. It was partially covered in thick vines of ivy. 

Alex gasped and clutched her hands together. 

"It's Rapunzel's tower!" Alex said, and her eyes became a little misty at the sight of it. 

"Are you seriously crying?" said Conner, who was still on the ground. 

"It's just how I imagined it!" Alex said. "Get up! We're getting a closer look!" 

Alex yanked on her brother's arm until he climbed to his feet, and the twins walked through the trees until they came to the base of the tower. 

It was even taller than it looked, a few hundred feet tall at least. The twins' necks began to ache after looking up at the tower for a while. A large golden plaque was displayed in the ground in front of it that said:

                                                         QUEEN RAPUNZEL'S TOWER 

"It must have been so hard for her," Alex said. "Seeing people and places so far away and never being able to visit them." 

"At least she never had to worry about burglars," Conner said. 

"I've got to go up there," Alex said. 

"Do you have a jet pack or a grappling hook that I'm unaware of? "Conner asked her. 

"No, I'll have to climb it," Alex said, surprising herself with the declaration. 

"You have officially lost your mind!" Conner said. "We've almost been killed twice, and we haven't even been here a full day yet! We need to stop fooling around and find a way home, Alex! What part of that don't you understand?"