Chapter 20

The mermaids escorted the twins through the ocean and up a river into the northern part of the Sleeping Kingdom. Alex and Conner were only a few miles away from the Thornbush Pit and began their walk to the place where they would find the last Wishing Spell item.

"How do we get the Wishing Spell to work once we find the knife?" Conner asked.

"I think we just put all the items together and let them do the rest," Alex said.

"I suppose," Conner said.

The land was dead and dry around them. The roads were bumpy and covered in stone. It was by far the least attractive area they had been to in all of the Land of Stories.

"I don't know about you, but I am so looking forward to getting out of this place," Conner said.

"I know what you mean," Alex said halfheartedly. "I miss Mom so much."

"I can't wait to get back to air conditioning and television," Conner said. "Boy, have I missed those things. And food—don't get me started about food!"

"I bet we have so much homework to catch up on, too," Alex said happily.

Conner grunted. "I didn't think about that." He also wondered if he would have to serve all those detentions when he got home as well. Would being trapped in the fairy-tale world for a week or two get him out of it?

Alex completely sympathized with her brother. She had been so excited to discover the Land of Stories, but they had had so many treacherous experiences that even she was anxious to get home. But now, looking around at the land, even as ugly as this part of the kingdom was, she couldn't help but think how much she was going to miss it.

"We have seen some amazing things," Alex said.

"Very true," Conner said.

"And we have met some extraordinary people," she said.

"Can't deny that," Conner said, shaking his head.

"It's a shame that we can't come and go to this place as we please," Alex said. "You don't think you'll miss it just a tiny bit?"

Conner immediately shook his head, and his mouth positioned into the shape to say, "No," but when he thought about it more, he hesitated. "We've had our moments," Conner said. "We're definitely leaving with memories no one else will have. Think about all the stories we'll be able to tell our kids someday."

"Right," Alex said, but this only made her think about their father.

Without realizing it, being in the Land of Stories had filled the emptiness they were left with when their dad died. Discovering that their dad was from the fairy-tale world had been the most meaningful part of the adventure.

"Mom and Grandma are going to have so much explaining to do," Conner said.

"For sure," Alex agreed. "I wonder where Dad lived."

"We'll find out," Conner said, and smiled. "I wonder if he knew any of the people that we've met or seen? I wonder if we have family here!"

Alex stopped walking. Her eyes grew almost as big as her open mouth.

"What if we're related to the Charming or White Dynasties?" Alex proclaimed excitedly.

"Or maybe we're one-sixtieth ogre or elf or something cool!" Conner said.

''Who would want to be one-sixtieth ogre or elf'',  someone questioned