Chapter 3: A Year Left

Hermione fell asleep that night with Luna's head in her lap, her hands still holding the bag of licorice. The basement beneath the Lovegood house in which she called home now was always cold, making her grateful for the warmth that was Luna. She opened her eyes slowly, and once again stared at the leaky pipe as it dripped, the contents falling onto Luna's jeans, leaving a slight wet mark that was growing larger. She sighed, and looked around to see if anyone was awake.

Turning her head, she could see Hannah Abott and little Ellie Cattermole huddled together, the older girl speaking in hushed tones to the later. Beside them, Ellie's mother Mary slept, her arm draped over her son Alfred. Alfred was listening intently to Hannah speaking, his brow furrowed as he chewed on his lips. Turning her head back forward, Hermione could make out Kelly Brown and Alicia Spinnet sitting side by side, Kelly's head lightly pressed against Alicia's shoulders as they slept quietly. Hermione's stomach turned as she thought of just how much Kelly looked like his cousin. She tried not to think of Lavender's lifeless body, blood pooling from her mouth and her eyes staring.

"Do you ever stop thinking?" Luna said, giving Hermione a scare. "No, not really." Hermione breathed, still looking at Kelly and Alicia. "I mean, how can I?" Luna sat up from her friend's lap and nodded slowly, before stretching her arms above her head.

"I suppose you're right. But Kelly doesn't blame you for Lavender's death." Hermione stared at the blonde girl, blinking slowly. Luna stood up and brushed off her jeans. "I should go. Narcissa is probably needing help with Teddy by now and I don't want her to worry."

Hermione nodded and stood as well, walking with Luna to the ladder that led to the hidden door. "Are you sure I can't come with you?" Hermione asked even though she knew the answer. Narcissa being married to Lucious and everyone thinking she was living alone was the only reason no one suspected she was helping keep muggleborns hidden. Luna, Neville, Ron, Ginny and Cho were the only ones who knew both safe houses lock charms and traveled between them. It was best to keep everyone separate, at least for the time being, according to Narcissa. Given her blood and financial status, she had been a huge help in keeping them hidden, but it wasn't without a few precautions. With her Golden Girl title, both Ron and Narcissa agreed that it would be best if she stayed hidden. Many Death eaters wanted her blood in their Spawning, and the thought made her skin crawl.

"Hopefully, Neville will be here shortly with more supplies." Luna said, placing a hand on the ladder. "Narcissa is working on a plan of using a muffliato spell for people to use so they can come to the Black house and get out of here. I know you all are probably craving a bath." Hermione nodded vigorously. It had been weeks since she showered, since she had changed into fresh clothing. She was sure that she smelled terribly and tried not to dwell on the thought too much.

"Have any Death eaters been to the house?" Hermione asked. Luna shook her head and said, "Only Lucius. Sometimes Blaise, but it's more to check that his father hasn't been around." Luna wrinkled her nose. "He's been drinking more, that one." Hermione reached out and grabbed Luna's hand, squeezing lightly. "Please be careful." She breathed. "It's just as dangerous for sympathizers as it is for muggleborn." Luna gave her a wiry smile. "Don't worry. I will be." She replied, turning to the ladder. She stopped, then turned back to her, her eyes narrow but glossy.

"He'll come around, you know. Draco's just biding his time." Hermione sucked in a breath at the name, hugging her arms to herself. "I haven't seen him in more than...two years, I think Luna." She said, almost to herself. "I doubt he's changed his stance." Luna shrugged, and climbed up the ladder, disappearing at the top as she apparated to the Black house.

March 7th, 1997

"I'll be civil but I'm not going to let your prejudice screw this up." Hermione huffed as she sat down next to her Divination partner. How on earth did I get stuck with him? Hermione groaned inwardly.

Of all the students in the classroom, she had to be partnered with Draco Malfoy. Draco rolled his eyes at her, and turned his attention to the front of the class. "Trust me Granger, this is the last thing I want." He murmured. She turned to him, eyes wide, eyebrows raised.

"Let's meet in the great hall, after the quidditch match, and just get this over with alright?" she sighed, hoping he could be courteous and just work with her. He said nothing but gave a short nod, and she turned her attention back to Trelawny, who was busy blabbing about Seers and their inner eyes, and painfully wished anyone but Malfoy were her partner.

With class dismissed, Hermione followed Ginny to the quidditch field, and upon saying goodbye and good luck, departed to find a seat in the stands. She ended up sitting next to Fred and George Weasley, their flaming hair already wild even with the match not yet started.

"Who do you think will win 'mione?" asked George. "Our money is on Gryffindor, naturally." "But the Slytherins might pull through with Malfoy as their seeker." Fred grumbled, obviously prejudiced against the green and silver team.

"I think both teams are perfectly capable of winning." Hermione stated, and watched as her house floated into the air on their brooms, flying to their side of the field. George shook his head. "No way, Harry will let them win," he said. "besides, Ginny has been great this season." Fred interrupted. "That's bollocks and you know it."

"Well one could hope!"

"Yeah, hope for a miracle that our sister doesn't send a bludger straight into Harry's face."

"Oh come off it, Fred, she's not that bad."

"She nearly made us nearly headless Nick!"

Hermione laughed at the twins antics as the Slytherin team flew onto the field, their house erupting in loud chants. She could see Professor Snape standing at the far left, arms crossed as he watched his students fly. Hermione took a deep breath, turning her eyes back to the field. She paused as she made eye contact with the blonde-haired Slytherin, his arms tight in his uniform and posture stiff. For the briefest of moments, he held her gaze, a smile dancing on his lips, before it vanished, and he turned his attention to the field. Hermione blinked, feeling a warmth in her chest as she brought her hand to her mouth. Had he just smiled at her?

"Here we go!" cried George, and Fred held onto his arm, shaking his brother as they all watched the game begin.

-

Hours later, Hermione stood in front of the library with her books in hand, waiting impatiently for Malfoy. Her heart was still beating wildly from celebrating Gryffindor's win against Slytherin, and she felt pride grow in her chest that her house had once again beaten the green team. She was so enthralled in her own thoughts that she neglected to hear steps coming up next to her, and suddenly became aware of the faint scent of mint beside her.

"Waiting, Granger?" Draco drawled, and stalked past her in a slow but determined pace. She flushed, clutching her books close to her chest and quickly walked to catch up with him.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you." She said, to which he made no reply. He sat at a table near the restricted section, throwing his books down with a loud bang, and slumped in a chair. Placing her books neatly beside herself, Hermione took a seat across from him, chewing on her lip nervously. How was one supposed to approach a man whose ego had recently been burned by his childhood enemy?

"I...I'm sorry your team lost." She said quietly, to which Draco slowly raised his head and then his eyebrows before saying, "It doesn't matter. It's a game made for children." She shrugged and turned to open her book. "It may be for children, but it's still fun." She tried, eyeing him threw her lashes. He didn't seem very upset, just sullen, and she watched him pick at his uniform with his thumb.

"I wonder how long we'll be children for." He murmured, and she blinked. This had to be the most calm and sullen Draco had ever acted around her. "Well, you're only 17. You still have a year of childhood in you." She said lightly and offered him a small smile. He looked up at her then, and to her amazement, smiled back. She held her breath, fingers still on the page.

"Yes." He said, the smile slowly fading. "I still have a year."