Chapter 16: By Candlelight

April 22nd, 1997

Hermione raised a comb through her curls, trying to tame them in some sort of appealing manner. It was a bit past dusk and she was due to meet Draco in the south greenhouse at seven so they could 'discuss the cultivation of fanged geranium,' or at least that's what she had said. She knew most likely she would end up with her hands around his neck, but at least the attempt to study the plant that would show up on O.W.L's was there. As she studied her reflection, she felt a twinge of guilt starting at the base of her head; she had not been honest to Ron, Ginny, or Harry about where she had been going a few nights a week and it was starting to weigh on her.

Carefully, she moved a stick of chapstick along her lips, placing the cap back on to the tube as she rubbed them together thoughtfully.

She knew what they would say about her and Draco. They'd think he was using her, tricking her into allowing him to touch her. That was the furthest thing from the truth.

Wasn't it?

Collecting herself, she smoothed out her pleated skirt and placed a dark sweater over her shirt. Gripping her books, Hermione skipped her way down the stairs of Gryffindor Tower, exiting through the painting's entrance and walked down towards the greenhouse. The air was crisp and she was grateful for bringing a sweater as she neared the semi-glass doors. Through the windows on the building, she could see a faint glow, and she slowed her steps. Someone must have left a candle going and she quickly opened the door, walking inside to find the source of the light.

"Students need to be more careful," she huffed, removing her wand to put out the flame. It only took one lick of a fire to burn the entire building down, it must have been a first year that was too preo--

Her thoughts came to an abrupt halt as she looked at the scene that had been set up and could feel her heart begin to pick up in pace.

There was a thick cushioned blanket laying on the floor near the brewing cauldron and a few black satin pillows on top with candles next to the cauldron, casting a low glow. Draco was kneeling in front of a candle, his back to her as he muttered a charm with his arm extended towards the candle. A flame began from the wick, stretching up and he stood, satisfied. He turned to move and spotted Hermione staring at him. She felt her eyes grow as he looked at her, his face stoney.

"Oh, I didn't..." he coughed. "I didn't hear you come in."

"Sorry I um, I should've knocked," Hermione replied, glancing down at the pillows and blankets, waiting for him to respond. When he didn't, she cleared her throat and asked, "Draco, what's all this?"

He moved off of the blankets, grabbing his textbook that lay on the floor, then sat back down, kicking his shoes off. "Figured this was more comfortable than the hard chairs at the library," he replied, his eyes staring at her neck.

She nodded slowly and looked down at her feet that were still in her shoes. "Should I...?" she whispered, and Draco nodded. Hesitantly, she slipped off her shoes, feeling the cool stones of the floor beneath her toes. Hermione gingerly stepped onto the blanket, then sat down beside Draco as he flipped open his textbook. She mimicked his actions and tried to ignore the nervous shake in her hands.

"So..." she breathed, scanning the page. "Fanged Geranium."

"Right," Draco replied, his eyes on his own book. "What do you want to start with?"

"You."

Hermione felt them both freeze and mentally slapped herself. She hadn't meant to say that out loud. Draco turned his head slightly, his blonde hair falling just above his brow.