The Reunion

Maxon POV

Sixteen years. I couldn't believe it had been sixteen years since the selection. Sixteen years since I was married. Sixteen years since I had seen the beautiful redhead that once graced these halls. Not a day goes by that I don't think of America. What she's doing? How is she? Is she married? Does she have children? But most often I ask, why couldn't she have chosen to stay? I waited for hours after the attack. She never came. I had even told Kriss to wait after she came to my room. But I never saw America again.

I heard she lived in the house I gave her. Many times I thought about finding her, and just begging her to come back. But I realized if she didn't want to be with me, then I wasn't going to chase after her and make both our lives difficult. I stared at the wall across from my desk. Leaning back in my chair I let out a sigh.

My life since the selection had been uneventful and sad. We found out after three years of trying to have children, that Kriss was incapable. It hit pretty hard. I remember feeling so defeated. Being an only child I wanted to have a big family. But I couldn't even have one child with my wife. After that we grew apart. I still loved her, only because she was my wife. But I never slept with her again. We would go on dates and share kisses here and there but they lacked the spark that America carried.

I buried myself in my work, and trying to make the country better. I elminated the castes and worked with Kriss on bettering the education systems. I was actually due to visit the closest high school in a couple weeks. Right after the reunion party.

Kriss was planning a selection reunion party and wanted all the girls to come back for a ball. I was really only going to show up to see America. Don't get me wrong I would never cheat on Kriss, but I will always love America. Even after all these years I still find myself deeply in love with America. I hope she comes to the ball so I can speak to her. Even just to hear her voice.

knock, knock, knock.

"Come in!"

Kriss opened the door and walked in. "Hey! Dinners ready, Shall we head down?" she said as she nodded towards the hall.

"Yes we shall." I said standing from my chair. All through dinner my thoughts were on America. How she thought it was weird when I used the word shall. I relive that night in my dreams so often. I sometimes fear that I will call out America's name in my sleep. It's one of the reasons I was grateful Kriss slept in her own bed most nights. Oh America. How I  miss you.

America POV

"Eadlyn! Ahren! Dinner!" I yelled up the stairs.

I quickly hear papers shuffling and the sound of feet moving upstairs. Sixteen years, my little babies were sixteen years old. I'm so proud of them.

Eadlyn is her own person. Fiercly independent and stubborn. Ahren is very charming and smart. Eadlyn reminds me so much of myself. But Ahren, is just like his father. Everytime I look at him all I see is Maxon. It still hurts after all these years. I still love him and I am very much in love with him. But he made his choice. He didn't want me and I didn't want to see him hurt anymore, so I left.

I heard Kriss in his room after the rebel attack. They sounded happy together. I didn't stick around to hear the conversation.

Me and my family moved into the house Maxon gave us. May grew up and left to do her own thing. Gerad grew up and now hes moved in with his girlfriend. My mother still lives with us and helped me raise the twins. Kota and I still don't talk very much but he's married, so that keeps him occupied for now. Kenna died 8 years ago. She was buried next to my father per her own request. Astra is an adult now and will be graduating soon. Leo, Kenna's youngest, is only a year below the twins. The castes don't exist anymore so we live a very free life.

Eadlyn wants to be a singer. Ahren wants to be a writer. I was always weary of them having public or famous careers for fear of Maxon finding them. They have my name instead of his but the resemblance between Eadlyn and Amberly and Ahren and Maxon makes me uneasy when going to royal or professional events. Luckily I lived the life of a classical pianist. I gave up singing because I just didn't have the heart anymore. I was well known in my profession and actually managed to record a few songs for some CD's. I could have been a professional singer and was made many offers when the twins were a few years old but declined because I didn't want the attention.

I was terrified of what would happen if anyone found out who their father was. The twins started asking questions when they were younger and I didn't want to lose them. I told them that their dad was somebody I couldn't be with and told them he was a photographer. I never gave them a name. I know Eadlyn wants to know her father very much. She craves anything I can tell her. If I talk about him she becomes so focused and its hard to switch the topic. Ahren wants to know as well but I think having his sister and me is enough right now. I truly wish they could know, but it's too risky.

"Hey mom." Eadlyn kissed my cheek and sat down across from me.

"Hello, my sunshine"

"Dinner looks good. I'm starving!"

"Wait! Don't start without me!" Ahren yelled as he ran into the dining room.

"Never my sweet boy!" he hugged me and I gave him a kiss on his cheek.

We eat dinner together and talk about our day. Then Eadlyn brings up the reunion letter she saw when they got home from school.

"So...mom about that letter in the mail today?"

"Mmhmm"

"Can we go please please please!!"

I looked up at her as she practically jumped out of her chair to beg me to go.

"I don't know Eady. You have school and it isn't going to be fun."

"Mom we live 20 minutes from the palace."

I looked at her. She gave the big puppy dog eyes and I could see the sparkle that she got from Maxon. They both had brown eyes. Eadlyn had long beautiful brown hair that almost shone highlights of blonde in the sunlight. Ahren had honey blonde hair just like Maxon. I couldn't say no to those eyes and gave in.

"Fine. we can go but we aren't staying for long."

"YAY!!!" they both jumped up and Eadlyn clapped her hands. We finished dinner and cleaned up. I took a shower and dried my hair. As I lay down in bed I couldn't help but think about Maxon. Wondering if he ever thought about me. I grinned as I thought about seeing his smile and his handsome face but it quickly faded to sadness when I remembered everything that happened between us. Shoot! And now I was bringing his children with me to a party his wife was hosting. What had I gotten myself into.

I fell asleep and dreamed of Maxon and the twins. I dreamed about the life I might have had. Being queen and the twins growing up in the palace. Maxon and I would have other children. Maybe two little boys. I was happy in this life. But the worst thing about a dream is that eventually you have to wake up and leave your perfect world.

Hey guys I know this was kind of short but I wanted to make the next chapter the actual party so that I can speed this story along a little bit quicker. Let me know if I should do some POV's for Eadlyn and Ahren. Leave a comment and follow me.