The Results

Maxon POV

I felt a warm hand move across my chest and a warm breath as Kriss sighed. I opened my eyes and looked down. I had Kriss in my arms. She smiled and looked up at me.

"Good morning sleepyhead." she said as she leaned up to kiss me. I kissed her back and tried to act normal.

"Morning." I said as happily as I could manage.

"Did you like the party?"

"Yes, it was nice to see everyone." I hadn't told anyone about my suspicions of the twins. I figured I could talk to Aspen. He and I had actually become good friends. I considered him to be like a brother.

"I saw you talking to that girl. The one with brown hair in the pink dress. Who was she? I didn't see her with any of the selected but I figured she was someone's daughter."

She propped herself up on her elbow as she gazed at me.

"That was America's daughter." I said trying to sound cool about the whole thing.

"Oh really? She doesn't look much like her. She must take after her father then." she put her head back down on my chest and let out another sigh. I rubbed her back out of habit and fell into a trance as I thought about what she said. She must take after her father. Yes she must.

I thought about Eadlyn. She looked so much like mom and Ahren looked so much like me. I wanted to believe I was being paranoid, but the math and details are all too coincidental.

A photographer. That's what Eadlyn said her dad did. She said he was shot and died around Christmas. I looked at my scar from the bullet I had taken for America at the choosing ceremony. They had to be mine. It wouldn't make sense any other way. America assured me that she was a virgin before the selection. With everything that happened in October it seemed unlikely she was having intimate relations with anyone else. I was going on dates with her almost all the time until the week before halloween but the way she was in pain when we. . . No! They had to be mine. They had to.

"Maxon?" Kriss's question snapped me out of my trance. "Did you hear me?" I stared at her with a confused look.

"I said do you want to go to breakfast?" I smiled and let out a breath. "Sure my darling."

She moved off my chest and I pulled the covers off me. I stood up and stretched my back before I made my way to the shower.

I got dressed and adjusted my suit in the mirror before walking towards the door. I joined Kriss in the hallway and she took my arm as I offered it to her.

During breakfast I didn't say much. I mostly listened to Kriss and occasionally nodded my head when she asked a question. When I finished I stood and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead.

"I'll see you later darling." I walked up to my office and when I sat down I was once again consumed with thoughts of America and the twins.

I called for Aspen and decided I would confide in him about it. Five minutes later I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I called. Aspen walked in and closed the door behind him. "Hey you wanted to see me?"

"Yes I did. I need to tell you something and I need you not to tell anyone. Not Lucy, not Marlee, not Carter, and especially not Kriss."

He nodded and I could tell he was slightly worried with what I was about to say. I took a deep breath. "I think I'm a father." He looked at me confused. "What?"

"I think I'm a father." I said a little bit more confidently. "The girl I was talking to yesterday, Her name is Eadlyn Singer. She's America's daughter. I think she's mine as well." His eyes widened as he took in the news. "America has kids?"