The Truth

Maxon POV

I felt dizzy. I stumbled and grabbed onto the couch next to where I stood. I was a father. I had children. I had a family. Something I always wanted. I couldn't wait to hold them. To kiss their foreheads and gaze at them so I could memorize every little detail of their beautiful faces. But my happiness faded to realization and then to anger.

The love of my life had my children. We were a family. Though not a normal family. But all these years she's has been so close and never told me. She has kept my children from me for sixteen years and lied to them about me. Telling them I died. I was filled with mixed feelings of joy, sadness, and anger. Some part of my brain told me this was my chance to be with her again. We were both still young though we weren't teenagers anymore. I was thirty-six and she was thirty-four. We could still have a family. We could still spend the rest of our lives together.

I wanted to run to her house and kiss her until she agreed to be mine. But another part of me wanted to yell and slap her for keeping this from me all these years. I made up my mind that I was going to see America. It was twelve in the afternoon. The kids would be at school for another hour and a half which gives me time to get there and talk to America beforehand. I ordered the staff to bring my car around.

"Maxon?" Kriss called as I made my way to the front doors. I turned around and stopped as she ran to catch up to me. "Where are you going?" she asked looking confused.

I debated telling her the truth then and there. But I didn't know how she would react and I hadn't even talked to America yet. I decided it was better to wait.

"I just need to take care of something. I should be back for dinner though." I kissed her forehead to throw off any suspicion she might have had. Or at least I hope I did.

I got in the car and drove to America's house. My head swirled with a myriad of questions. I didn't even know what to say. I hoped it was a quiet neighborhood because the last thing I wanted was to cause a scene or draw any attention. It was the middle of the day so most people would be at work. I just hoped nobody would see me or at least not recognize me. I mean, my face was everywhere so it would kind of be hard not to. I'm so stupid.

I pulled into her driveway and turned off the engine. I took a deep breath and stepped out of the car. The house was big but it looked warm and welcoming. She had painted the walls a nice shade of grey with blue shutters and the porch had a swing and a couch. The shrubs in front had beautiful white lilies growing out of them. I recognized that as Carolina's flower. America grew up in Carolina which was on the opposite side of the country.

Her car was in the driveway. Good, she was home. I hadn't even thought about the fact that she might be working.

I walked up to the front door and knocked three times. I heard voices inside and after a minute the lock clicked and the door opened to reveal America.

It felt like someone had stolen all the air right from my lungs. She was beautiful. She looked like she barely aged from when I last saw her. She was still my America. She had gone from the fiery rebellious teenager I knew to a mature woman. Little laugh lines were starting to show near her eyes but her hair was still a beautiful shade of red and was pulled back into a messy bun on the back of her head. She was wearing a blue t-shirt and leggings that hugged her curves in all the right places. She wasn't wearing makeup and somehow it made her look even more beautiful.

She stood there with her mouth slightly open as she stared at me. Finally able to breath again I spoke, remembering what had brought me here. "Hello America. I think we need to talk." I said firmly. "Maxon what are you doing here?" she said still stunned.

"I would really prefer to talk about this inside." I said motioning towards the house. She closed the door a bit more. Using her body to shield the gap. "I don't think that's a good idea." She said a hint of nervousness slipping into her voice. "I think we should." I said a little more irritated. She didn't move. I stepped closer to her so I could speak quieter. "America I know this is out of the blue but we need to talk." She looked at me with an annoyed face and opened the door so I could step inside.