Chapter 5

5 Years Later

Jolie woke up, the sun streaming in from the blinds, hitting her face. She sat up drowsily, rubbing her eyes. It was way too early. Her head hit the pillow and it was back to dreamland.

...

Jolie. A muffled whisper said. Jolie.

Someone was shaking her. That was annoying.

"Ugh," She groaned. Something warm and wet was slobbering all over her face. Slowly, she popped open an eye, then the other. Two wide, black eyes met hers, and then came the tongue again.

"Maurice! No, stop." She half-heartedly protested. Jolie knew that Maurice knew she secretly liked it. But not in the current atrocious hours of the morning.

"Jolie," A slightly urgent voice, she was shaken again. "You only have fifteen minutes to get ready for your first day at Foxfire." Mom was shaking her head, Jolie was definitely not a morning person.

Now she was awake.

"Mom! Why didn't you wake me up earlier!" The panicked girl jumped out of bed and snatched the clothes folded neatly at the end of her bed. As she put them on in the bathroom, Mom called from the other side of the door, "I opened the blinds an hour and a half ago. I tried a Banshee Alarm but that didn't work either. I thought you'd wake up eventually, but you didn't. My last resort was Maurice."

She put on a black pleated skirt along with a black shirt-vest combination. A gremlin patch, much like Maurice, was also sewn onto them. She fastened her black cape with a triangular pin. The Ruewen crest was an eagle holding a rose. Unlike most, she actually liked capes. They kept her warm, they were pretty, and they helped show status. Although, status didn't really matter to her.

Rushing out, she raced over to Vertina, her spectral mirror.

"Vertina, I need help. It's the first day at Foxfire and I've got about twelve minutes until I need to leap there!" Jolie gushed.

"Well, first of all, you need to brush your hair." The raven-haired girl in the mirror replied. Vertina, a nifty piece of technology, was a mirror that helped Jolie get ready for the day. She had gotten her as a present when she was eight and they become very close friends.

"Oh, yeah!" She grabbed a brush and hastily whisked it through her blonde hair. "I can't straighten my pin and black is not really my color and I'm still too short." She told Vertina. Since she had gotten older, she had noticed that she was noticeably shorter than most of her peers her age. Brant teased her constantly about it, he towered over her by a whopping eight inches. It was not unusual for Jolie's head to become Brant's personal elbow rest.

"You look great, don't worry." Vertina assured her, as Jolie adjusted her cape and messed with her hair.  She started fidgeting with her hands, but then Vertina glared at her. She was so tempted to pop her fingers, a nervous habit of hers, but she had made a bet with Vertina. She just had to wait until the end of the day.

"Are you sure? I'm so nervous." The soon-to-be prodigy confessed, placing a hand on the mirror. "Brant shared so many stories about his older siblings and Foxfire seems so big and some of the mentors seem mean and what if I fail-"

"You'll be amazing." She interrupted, her sapphire blue eyes scanning the anxious girl in front of her. "And you look amazing. You go get 'em, Jolie. And tell me if there are any cute boys." Jolie cracked a small smile at that. She took one last glance at Vertina and waved goodbye.

She ran downstairs to the kitchen where her parents were waiting. A large helping of maringe, orange gloppy stuff was on the table. Maringe was her favorite breakfast food, it kinda tasted like a type of human food Mom had called banana bread.

"Hey kiddo, are you ready for your first day at Foxfire?" Asked Dad.

"Ready as I'll ever be," In reality, all her insides were melting into a sludge of worry, anxiety, and a hint of excitement. That tiny feeling was the thing she held onto, the tiny bit of light in the dark unknown of starting school. And Brant would be there too.

"We got you something. A little gift for your first day." Mom said as Jolie sat down to eat. With a snap of her fingers, she conjured a beautiful silver box and gave it to her. Jolie gingerly lifted the lid and found a little charm bracelet. Wow. It looks just like our crest. The charm was an majestic eagle made of gold and the eye was a beautiful amethyst. The rose was made of the most intricately cut rubies.

"It's beautiful," Jolie gasped, slipping it on her wrist along with her nexus.

"You better get a move on, kiddo." Dad reminded her.

"One sec," Jolie wolfed down the rest of her breakfast and hopped up from the table.

Mom wrapped her in a warm hug. "Are you sure you don't want us to leap you there?" Jolie was nervous, but she wasn't that nervous. Dad joined the hug, squeezing them a little tighter. Almost as if he was infusing confidence into her, Jolie felt a surge of determination. A resoluteness that just made her believe that everything was going to turn out great. Because she would make it at Foxfire. She could do it.

She stepped up to their Leapmaster 2,000. Jolie inhaled deeply, "Foxfire!"

"We love you," They called.

The crystals rotated until a single crystal was lowered creating a beam of light.

"I love you, Mom. Love you, Dad." She stepped into the light. As her body dissolved with the light, she stole one last glance of her smiling parents.

Sorry, this is a little late

Sorry, this is a little late. I procrastinate lol. Thank you for the reads, votes, and comments! Shout out to @Millie10Lina, YOU'RE AMAZING!! What are everyone's thoughts. I would love feedback. BTW Unlocked is SOOOO GOOD! You seriously need to read it ASAP.

Comment 💬

Vote

Keep on reading 📖

Randombanana 💛