Chapter 12

Lunch was spent in hesitant silence and constant unease. For Jolie at least. The boys were attempting to cheer poor Sorynn up, trying to distract her from the encounter last session. Jolie on the other hand gazed watchfully across the cafeteria at Estela and her groupies. So far, nothing had happened... yet. 

Fernan, who mysteriously remained with them, threw a piece of Prattles candy in the air. As it hurtled back towards the ground, Zale positioned himself so the candy landed neatly in this mouth.

"Thank you, thank you." He called in a lordly voice, bowing. "No need to applaud- you know what, yes, do applaud. I deserved it after that epic save." He interrupted himself in a normal tone. He looked to his sister who was finally smiling and the boys continued with their antics.

This left Jolie to think within the solitude of her own head. Well, not really with telepaths like Estela around. That girl had no respect for privacy or the strict rules set in place to protect it. Jolie had considered several times going to one of the mentors or her parents and finally bringing her to justice. She could even go to Alden to deal with his second cousin thrice removed. 

The regulations put in place for Telepathy were almost as strict as her dad's regulations for Mesmerizing. Meaning Estela would have to go to a tribunal to decide her punishment. This was the point in her thought process where she remembered Sorynn practically begging her not to tell anyone. I'll feel so terrible if something really bad happened to Estela because of me. It just isn't worth it. That's what she had said to Jolie. It was so backwards and wrong, yet Sorynn pleaded with her for one reason.

Guilt. Such a strange emotion, dangerous emotion. The elves' fatal flaw. An emotion so strong and volatile enough to break an elven mind. It was too risky to chance with Sorynn's fragile mental state. Jolie had finally agreed to keep this confidential, but she promised herself if it went too far, she'd do something. The guilt of standing by and watching her friend being bullied into submission would also be dangerous for Jolie.

Even if Estela had been taken as far as Tribunal Hall, it's not like there would be any retribution. Estela was a Vacker and Sorynn was a twin. It was as simple as that. It pained Jolie to know how Elven prejudices and superstitions had clawed their way into the hearts and minds of almost every citizen of the Lost Cities. That most definitely included the Council. 

She'd seen this irrational apathy of others poison the lives of her Aunt Juline and Uncle Kesler. Labeled a bad match and seen only for that. Not seen for the perseverance and courage it took to stay faithful to each other as they took on the brunt intolerance in full force, even embracing it. All because they didn't adhere to strongly suggested guidelines.

Uncle Kesler, himself, was Talentless. The only one out of six siblings to not manifest. She couldn't imagine how hard it must have been growing up a disgrace to the family name, not that it was his fault. Against all the odds he became the best alchemist in the Lost Cities and certainly showed those stuffy nobles that they had no right to ever treat another elf like a piece of-

"Ow," She blurted out, rubbing her cheek. Someone had thrown a piece of Prattles at her face, she realized as she felt the sticky residue on her fingertips. The culprit was conveniently holding a box of Prattles in his hands. 

"Sorry," Brant grinned.

"No you're not," Jolie told him, "You could have hit my eye, weirdo."

"Yep, I was aiming for it. That way, it'd never actually hit your eye." He seemed very proud of himself, as her turned to Zale and Fernan for their approval. They all fist bumped as Jolie facepalmed. Sorynn shared smile and a knowing look with her, Estela seeming to be years in the past now.