chapter thirty

I think it was pretty impressive how we managed to slip past McGonagall with nothing more than a detention. She was usually on the stricter side when it came to being out of bed after hours, but I guess she was feeling nice. She seemed pretty disappointed in us, but I was just glad that it wasn't Umbridge we bumped into.  A detention with McGonagall shouldn't be too bad right? She sent us back to our dormitories and told us that if she ever caught us again we'd have detention for the rest of the month. Draco and I hurried back down to the dungeons, after accepting the detention as our only form of punishment, our eyelids feeling considerably heavier than they did in the way out and entered the Slytherin Common Room, once again, in hopes that we would be able to sleep this time.

~

I was being poked awake, gently on my shoulder. My eyes flutter open and are met with the bright beam of sunlight shining through the open curtains. I groan, stretching my arms out and shielding my eyes from the intrusive glow, harshly blinking the sleep from my eyes. I look around the room I am in, four other beds formed a circle around the room, draped in emerald green, silk bedsheets and curtains. My head cocks around to see the owner of the finger that was poking my shoulder: Draco was lying in the bed next to me, one elbow propped up on the pillow, his head leaning against the side of his hand.

"Cheer up, grumpy," he says, cheerfully, leaning forward to peck me on the lips. My eyes fall down to his bare, pale chest falling up and down in sync with his breathing. Not wanting to come across creepy, I pull my eyes away, using them to observe the room instead. I knew that if I turned around, a proud little smirk would be plastered across his face. Every single bed in the room, apart from ours was empty and the sheets were spread neatly and smoothly across the mattress.

"Where is everyone?" I ask, my voice embarrassingly raspy. I rub my eyes, stretching out my legs under the sheets, "And how are you such a morning person?" He raises a cocky eyebrow at me, before glancing down at a silver wristwatch he was sporting.

"I mean it's not really morning, darling, it's almost noon." He says, stifling a laugh, "I had to wake you otherwise we're going to miss lunch. Get dressed and we'll go meet the others." We both stand from the bed, I wince as my feet exit the warm perimeter of the bed onto the cold wooden floor. I look over at Draco and he throws me a pile of the clothes I wore yesterday from his arms. I catch my skirt, but my shirt falls and pools at my feet. I scramble awkwardly to retrieve it from the floor. I could see Draco grinning at me out of the corner of my eye. I shoot him a sharp look, before stepping into the attached bathroom and sliding the steel bolt across the door, locking it.

The bathroom mirror was steamed up and dripping with condensation, as if somebody had been in here not long ago. The whole room was hot and the fresh scent of soap and shampoo tickled the inside of my nostrils. I double check the counter to ensure that it was dry and not wet with vapour, before placing my clothes down on it. I reach forward and smear some of the dampness from the mirror with my hand, so I can look at myself: the word SNEAK was still marked across my face, red and bumpy. The swelling seems to have gone down overnight, but it was still sore and made my face look like a tomato. My sharp green eyes were a great contrast between the bright red skin that covered my nose and cheeks. I hunch my shoulders in shame, my face a constant reminder of what I did. The memories seemed to be eating away at my insides: my mind kept flickering between Umbridge's office and Dumbledore's office. I couldn't keep it out of my head. Even last night when all I wanted to do was to spend just one night alone with Draco, it was right at the front of my mind, teasing me, prodding at my insides, twisting my brain with guilt.

I sigh, hooking my fingers around the hem of Draco's shirt and pulling it over my head, watching as the scabs on my back are exposed. I must not tell lies. What was it with people marking words into my bloody skin? The wounds were healing nicely but they were leaving deep and nasty scars of a dark pink colour. I pull my shirt and skirt on quickly, grabbing onto the side of the counter to ensure I don't stumble over. I sigh, ruffling my hair in my hands to make it look even just a little bit less out of control. I opt to just tie it into a ponytail to keep it from my face. My face looked ugly, pimply and blotchy I really didn't want to leave this bathroom. I knew that people would start to talk. I knew that I would have to apologise to Harry and the rest of the DA, but I didn't think I could face the embarrassment of it. I knew people would be staring and whispering behind my back. I groan in frustration, scratching the side of my neck as I glare at the bolt of the door intensely. I couldn't stay here forever.