chapter thirty-six

My stomach feels like it would drop out of my body at any given moment. My heart has leaped into my throat and was beating rapidly in the sheer state of panic that I was in. Umbridge's face was menacingly evil, staring down at me, causing my shoulders to hunch over myself, wanting to just curl into a hall and crawl away. She had a hold of my hair tightly in one hand and Harry's in the other. My neck was bent backwards, so that I was forced to look at her, so far that I thought she was just going to slit my throat.

"You think," she says, bending my neck even further backwards so that I was now only able to look up at the ceiling, "That after the Niffler, I was going to let one more foul, scavenging little creature enter my office without my knowledge? I had Stealth-Sensoring Spells placed all around my doorway after it got in, you foolish kids. Take their wands," She barks at somebody who I could not see. Sure enough, I felt a hand reach into the chest pocket of my robes and pull out my wand, beating the clattering noise of two wands bashing together as the person collected Harry's too. "Hers, as well," I could hear a scuffle over at the door and I realise that Hermione had just had her want wrested from
her.

"I want to know why you were in my office," Umbridge orders, her voice harsher than I have ever heard it before. She shakes the fist that held Harry and I by the hair causing me to cry out in pain.

"OW!" I yell, trying to wrestle her hair from her strong grasp, "We were - we were... trying to get Harry's Firebolt!" It was the best excuse I could come up with on the spot, I just hoped it would work.

"Liar!" Umbridge shouts, "His Firebolt is under strict guard in the dungeons, as you both very well know. You had your heads in my fire. With whom have you been communicating?" Damn.

"No one-" Harry manages to choke, trying, too, to relieve himself from the painful grip on his hair.

"Liar!" She shrieks, throwing us sideways. I slammed into the desk, a sharp pain shooting through my side as I bring my hands up to my head to massage my sore scalp. I watch as several of my dark hairs fall out onto the carpet, from being pulled way to hard. I am now able to see the people in the room: Hermione was being held by her wrists by Millicent Bulstrode, looking terrified, and Draco was also present, leaning against the window sill, looking away from me, three wands closed tightly inside his right hand. There was a commotion outside the office door. Several of the Slytherin's that I had met not a month ago came crashing in, each gripping Ron, Ginny, Luna and, to my surprise, Neville. All four of them had pieces of cloth tied around their heads and put into their mouths to keep them from speaking.

"Got them all," Said a boy, the only one of which I didn't know the name of. I recognise him from the Slytherin Quidditch Team but his name was a mystery to me. "That one" he pointed a thick finger towards Neville, "Tried to stop me from taking her" He pointed at Ginny, who was trying to kick the shins of Pansy, who was restraining her by her arms, "So I brought him here as well."

"Good, good," Said Umbridge, smugly watching Ginny's struggles. "Well it looks as though Hogwarts will soon be a Weasley-free zone, now, won't it?" She giggles evilly, before waving her wand in the centre of the office. Two, sturdy looking wooden chairs appear on the carpet. She grabs me and pushes me into one of them, doing the same with Harry. She waves her wand and thick ropes begin to tie themselves around my wrists, binding them to the arms of the chair. I wriggle and writhe in restraint, kicking my feet, but it was no use. As the ropes got tighter and tighter, I knew that I would be stuck here until Umbridge let me go, which wouldn't be soon.

"Well then," Umbridge said, standing directly in front of us, her gaze fierce and terrifying. I don't think I had ever felt this panicked before. Not even in the midst of my detentions with her. This was on a whole different level. We had been caught red-handed. Surely we were going to be expelled. And Sirius- Sirius! Voldemort has him! Kreacher said that he wasn't at home, but he's not allowed to leave the premises of Grimmauld Place without permission from Dumbledore! Oh Merlin. "It was clearly very important for you to talk to somebody," Umbridge continues, her sneer making me feel ill, "But who was it? Was it Albus Dumbledore?"