Smiles and Frowns

Alex's POV:
We are all settled into Brooke's hospital room, and she's still sleeping, I had noticed her start to get anxious so I put her down for a nap, hoping she can calm down. I am filling out medical forms right now while Brooklyn is sleeping on her bed. Arizona walks in with Meredith behind her.
Arizona- hey Alex...
Alex- *looks at them* hey...
Meredith- how's Brooke? *she asks looking at Brooke*
Alex- *sighs* she's ok...I'm not sure she really understands why we are staying here but I think it's better if she doesn't fully understand...and her anxiety started to take over her so I put her down for a nap.
Arizona- I think we should look into her anxiety a little more too Alex..
Alex- whatever you think is best...
Brooke starts to move around and whine, so I go over to her and lay down next to her.
Alex- hey Brooke...
Brooke- daddy *makes grabby hands towards him*
I pick her up and place her gently on top of me, on my chest.

Brooke- daddy *makes grabby hands towards him*I pick her up and place her gently on top of me, on my chest

She is sucking her thumb gently, and rubbing her eyes. Arizona starts to slowly come over and talk to her.
Arizona- hey Brooke
Brooke hides her face into my neck, and I smile at her.
Alex- Brooke, these are my friends Arizona, and Meredith, can you say hi
Brooke- hi... *she says quietly*
Arizona- hi sweetie...can I just put this *holds the stethoscope up to show her* on your chest to check your heart?
Brooke starts to fidget and get scared. Meredith comes over and takes her hand, while I am whispering and rubbing her forehead to calm her down.
Alex- she's just going to do it quickly Brooke, calm down
Meredith- just look at me and your daddy Brooke
Brooke looks at Meredith and starts to calm down
Meredith- that's it, just close you eyes
I put her binki in her mouth and she calms down
Arizona checks everything she needs to and finishes
Arizona- all done!...
*she starts to whisper to Brooke* you wanna see something cool?!
Brookes eyes light up and she looks at me, and I nod
Brooke- *nods*
Arizona- *puts stethoscope on her ears and places the other end on my chest* listen to daddy's heart!
Brooke- *giggles* wow!...daddy your hearts making noises!
Alex- I know baby... *smiles at Brooke*
Brooke- can I listen to your heart MerMer!?
Meredith freezes in shock, I smile at her and nod to Meredith who looks nervous
Meredith- um...sure
She puts it up to Mer's heart and gasps again
Brooke- wow...
Me, Arizona, and Meredith smile at Brooke.
All of a sudden Brooke starts to whimper.
Brooke- *whimpers and holds her head* daddy!
I start to worry and hold her, while Arizona and Meredith look confused.
Alex- what's wrong baby?
Brooke- *cries* it hurts! Make it stop! Please daddy! *she's still holding her head*
Arizona- I'm paging Derek now!
I grab Brooke and put the binki in her mouth, but she's in too much pain to stop screaming and crying in pain
Alex- shhh...Brooke calm down
Meredith is rubbing her stomach to calm her down more.
Brooke- it hurts, it hurts!
All of a sudden Derek, Amelia, Webber, Bailey, and Owen run in.
Derek- what happened?! *he rushes to the bed and starts to shine a light in Brooke's eyes and move her head, checking it over.
Alex- I-I don't know, she just started crying, and holding her head in pain
Amelia- hey...Brooke, can you look at me please
Brooke- *whimpers, and looks at Amelia* hurts...
Amelia- shh...I know but can you calm down for me so I can figure out what's wrong
Brooke- yes...*she says quietly*
Meanwhile Bailey is putting medicine in her IV to help with the pain.
Brooke starts to calm down and now has her binki in her mouth but is still letting tears fall down her cheeks. While I am rubbing her head to try and help with the pain.
Alex- Derek...Amelia...what's happening?!
Derek- *sighs* it's getting worse...
Amelia- we need to make our plan soon and then we can remove it, but first we need to figure out steps
Meredith- what about the amount of pain she's in?
Derek- we can give her treatment to try and stop it from spreading anymore which should help with the pain
Amelia- that's all we can do for right now...
Alex- alright...can I just be alone with her please?
Webber- yeah, why don't we all give them some time
Amelia's POV:
We all step out of the room and are still looking through the window. I look and see Alex put Brooke on his chest and hold her tight, close his eyes, and kiss her forehead over and over again. I sigh. I've never seen anyone more heartbroken then Alex right now. I tune back into the conversation happening between all the people close to Alex.
Meredith- is this all we can really do?
Amelia- unfortunately, yes, it's bad it seems to have been small and went undetected for awhile, however now that she's getting treatment it's trying to spread faster, to fight the medicine.
Webber- listen, right now Alex is a mess and we all need to be there for him...
Owen- not only that but that little girl is petrified, and confused. So, get her whatever she wants and make her feel comfortable
Everyone nods
Derek- you guys weren't doing anything strenuous, to make her head start to hurt we're you? *he asked confused*
Arizona- no, I checked her out, and then had her listen to Alex's heart, and then she asked to hear Meredith's too
Everyone raised their eyebrow at Meredith confused, since she never really liked kids a whole lot.
Meredith- what!? That is the only kid that I can stand to be around,
Arizona- and she has seemed to form a bond with you, because you can calm her down, the only other person besides Alex.
Derek- I think she trusts you, and sees how close you are with Alex and that helps
Jackson- yeah, she has a bond with Alex that I don't think could ever break
While we are talking we are all looking through the window at Alex, and Brooke.
April- honestly it all kinda makes since now, if you think about it...
Derek- what do you mean?
April- I mean Alex never came out with us, he always was the first to leave, and he works on Peds
Arizona- he started to like working on Peds, when we had this one little girl who was a little older than Brooke.
Meredith- why?
Arizona- now that I think about it, it does make sense. Bailey remember Grace McAdams?
Bailey- oh my god it does make sense
Jackson- who's Grace McAdams?
Bailey- she was a 5-year-old girl we had who had anxiety, she would constantly hurt her self without realizing and then would have panic attacks. She came in because she was found on the bus stop, without a sign of her parents.
Meredith- oh my god, I remember that! Alex wouldn't stop taking about that case
Bailey- yeah he formed a relationship with her, and was able to bring her down from the panic attacks and stop her from scratching herself till she bled.
April- Grace reminded Alex of Brooke...
Arizona- yeah...
Amelia- wait! Brooke has anxiety?!
Meredith- yeah why?
Amelia- I got it!
Derek- what does that have to do with anything?
I start to look through her files quickly, and her scans, and about the meds she takes.
Amelia- think about it Derek...she has anxiety and right when she's calm it starts to hurt.
Derek- OH MY GOD?!
Jackson- what's happening?!
Amelia- I found it! *pulls out her list of medications*
She's taking Anxiapane (made up)...
Bailey- could you two please explain the relevance of this?
Derek- when Brooke's calm, it means her medicine is working, but instead of the medicine helping her, it's helping the tumor spread
Meredith- how?!
Amelia- I have only heard of it in one other case but the child died before research was done...
Callie- that's comforting *she says sarcastically*
Meredith- guys Brooke can't die! Alex wouldn't survive it
Derek- we know that why it's good we caught it early
Owen- what are you gonna do?
Amelia- she's going to have to stop taking it...
Arizona- guys I'm not sure that's possible, I looked into her anxiety and it's severe, she won't be able to control it...
Derek- it's the only way right now, we all just have to watch her, or the tumor will continue to spread.
Owen- I think we all should go in to tell Alex
Derek- alright, let's do it now, while Brooke's asleep.
We all walk back into Brooke's room.
Alex's POV:
I am just staring at Brooke with sad eyes, I want my baby to be alright. Then I see all of them walk back in.
Alex- I love you guys and all but really I want to be the only one in here when she wakes up...
Bailey sighs
Bailey- Alex...
I begin to worry
Alex- what's wrong...?
Everyone looks at me with a sad look
Alex- guys tell me what happened!
Amelia- Alex..we found out what's helping the tumor spread
Alex- that's a good thing isn't it?
Owen- it's her anxiety meds
Alex- what? How?!
Derek- the meds have chemicals in them that help tumors like this spread, which you normally don't have to worry about unless you have a tumor already
Alex- well, what are we gonna do?
Jackson- Amelia and Derek think it's best if she stays off them until they remove the tumor
Alex- no you don't understand!
April- Alex calm down...
Alex- I'm sorry okay, but it can't happen. She needs these, if not the anxiety is almost unbearable for her!
Meredith- Alex it's either she stops taking them, or she dies!??
I freeze
Webber- Meredith!
Meredith- what it's the truth Alex, and you know how I am, I am always blunt and honest with you..we will all be here to help you and her, but it needs to be done
Alex- no she's right, I'm sorry I'm just worried...
Arizona- Alex tomorrow we all are going to try and stay close to her room, we all need to see what her anxiety's like to help find different meds
Alex- alright, but I'm telling you it gets bad...
Webber- we can handle it Alex we're fine
Owen- okay we will see you and Brooke tomorrow
Alex- okay thank you guys again!
All- no problem
Then me and Brooke fall asleep

Note from the author:
Hi guys! Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment suggestions, also keep in mind I am relatively new at writing and I am trying! Also any of the medical information may not be possible or correct but it's made up for the story! Love you guys, thanks again!