(The VKs) - The Other Half of Me Part 1

(TRIGGER WARNING - physical and mental child abuse)

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"Nothing, Mother," Evie called in a sing-song voice as she scrambled to pick up the dresser she had accidentally knocked over in one of that many large hallways of the castle and refill it with the contents that had fallen out in the process.

The twelve-year-old shook her head in confusion as she did, not knowing why one woman required so many old dresses that didn't even fit her anymore. Once when Evie has suggested that she alter the dresses to fit her mother now, she had received quite the beating and a screeching from the former queen who took the offer as an accusation that she had let herself go. Despite how true it may be, it was not something you said to the Evil Queen, or in Evie's case, accidentally implied it.

However, the brown-eyed girl had paused, tilting her head as she game across an article of clothing that clearly wasn't her mother's—a man's scarf.

Evie furrowed her brows in confusion as the looked at the scarf. It was green, moth-eaten, and large. It was definitely not hers or her mother's. It was a pretty big assumption that it was her father's considering that Evie was conceived from a one-night stand that her mother always refuses to talk about since her daughter was one born out of wedlock—not a good image for a queen.

The scarf did look rather old and Evie didn't know why her mother would keep something from a random hook-up that was never heard from again. She slowly folded the scarf in her hands as she felt her desire for answers overcome her fear of requesting them from her mom.

She worked up her courage as she approached and hesitantly knocked on her mother's bedroom door.

"Come in," the Evil Queen called.

Evie sucked in a breath and walked in slowly and shut the door. As she entered, she was unsurprised upon seeing what her mother was doing—applying makeup at the vanity, as usual. She didn't really blame her. There wasn't much for one to keep themselves occupied with on the Isle of the Lost, let alone an abandoned castle on an isolated part of the island, never to show their face outside it again due to their banishment by Maleficent.

"What is it, Evie?" the woman asked absentmindedly as she was examining her face in the mirror to see if she was finally successful in concealing that annoying little wrinkle above her chin.

Evie softly gulped as she tried to retain eye contact and keep her posture straight. "W-... See- I- um," the princess was mumbling, unable to form the words.

"Words, Evelyn."

"Did this belong to my father?" she asked in a more blunt tone than she had intended it to come out as she held out the scarf she had found moments ago.

Grimhilde places the blush down on the vanity hard, making Evie flinch slightly. However, the young girl remained perfectly still as her mother arose for her seating position and looked away from the mirror.

"I thought we've established in the past that this is not a topic of discussion in this household," the former queen said in a cold tone, placing a hand on her hip and another on the frame of the chair she was sitting on.

"I remember," the twelve-year-old said, standing her ground. "But I found this scarf in one the drawers and it got me thinking about why I've never met my father... or if he even knows I exist."