Infrastructure and Development

Meanwhile, in Scarlet Moon itself, the Empire continued to consolidate its position, building Soniere Prison in the Kunan region in 347 to replace the aging Gaya Prison. This was followed by the completion of Scarleticia Castle in the same region in the year 370 as a frontline defense against Jowston.

As the largest prison in not only the Kunan region but the entire Toran Republic, Soniere Prison serves an important role as the maximum security prison, used to hold serious criminals such as murders or political prisoners; criminals convicted of...

As the largest prison in not only the Kunan region but the entire Toran Republic, Soniere Prison serves an important role as the maximum security prison, used to hold serious criminals such as murders or political prisoners; criminals convicted of lesser crimes are usually sent to the Banaar Mines for forced labour. It was built in 347, built by the inmates of Gaya Prison; they were then transferred to Soniere Prison themselves, and Gaya was destroyed in favour of Soniere's use.

Though it is the most secure and heavily guarded prison in the country, Soniere has been destroyed twice in the past. It was first destroyed during a war between The Scarlet Moon Empire and Jowston, when Jowston advanced far into the Kunan region, forcing the Imperial Army to retreat into Soniere Prison, when the Jowston troops burned down the prison during the siege. The second siege occurred in a prison revolt, when the Master Thief Wilbourn convinced thousands of his followers and fellow prisoners to revolt against the guards. Wilbourne burned the prison down himself during the revolt, leaving 300 trapped prison guards and prisoners to their deaths. However, neither disaster kept the Scarlet Moon Empire from rebuilding it again.

As the threat of Kooluk waned, Scarlet Moon found itself occupied with a new enemy, this time from the north. Despite the large distance between the two nations created by the Badlands as well as the Karakas Desert, tensions rose between the two nations with disputes common. 407 saw the completion of Moravia Castle in the Senan region in order to offer Scarlet Moon additional protection. With the building of Forts Rakan and Duha as satellite fortress, the Senan region became practically impregnable to Jowston attacks.

With the Toran region seemingly secured under the banner of the Scarlet Moon Empire, it appeared that nothing could trouble the powerful nation at this point but it was the Empire itself that caused its first major disruption in decades.