𝟎. 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

pain. there is nothing but pain. it radiates throughout my body. it has absorbed every fiber of my being and intertwines itself with my soul. i can't figure out whether it is the castle shaking from distant explosions, or myself. it is most likely the latter, after being hit with an insurmountable amount of cruciatus curses.

i lift my hand with a groan, watching as it quivers and trembles. i attempt to ball my hand into a fist, forcing myself to conjure up any willpower that may be left.

"you are a coward, you have betrayed your family, and you have betrayed the dark lord in his quest. you should know that you don't make it out of this. and it'll be due to my hand, that you meet your demise. you don't deserve the easy way out." i watch as macnair raises his wand into the air, a determined look on his face, knowing that he'd get the satisfaction of killing me.

with a wicked smile on his lips, he brings his wand down and whispers, "sectumsempra."

warmth spreads throughout my body immediately. warmth and some sort of liquid. blood. my blood. death by a thousand cuts.

macnair stands above me, obviously proud of what he's just pulled off. knowing i betrayed my family, and catching me in the act. he was always suspicious of me. like a fox with its prey, i was invariably observant, possibly too much, seeing that he ultimately discovered my betrayal.

he wears a sinful smile, one that a hyena may wear, knowing it has successfully cornered its meal.

there is a pattering coming from the end of the hallway, thud thud thud. i can't see, but i can hear the footsteps approaching. i close my eyes in anticipation for another death eater to stumble upon us.

"ah young malfoy, would you like to take a go at the traitor? there's still some light left in her, i'll give you the pleasure of snuffing it o-" the words catch in macnair's throat.

"avada kedavra," echoes a smooth voice laced with venom, dripping with malevolence. my eyes shoot open and watch as green light fills the space of the hallway.

walden macnair's body drops down beside me, eyes wide and mouth agape. i almost smile at his defeat, but instead, blood dribbles down the sides of my mouth. i cough and hack, noticing the slosh of liquid in my lungs.

"i am so sorry." draco falls to his knees, his wand tumbling from his hand. his usual collected demeanor is gone, and his hands are unsure. unsure of where to grab me, unsure of where to hold. i've never seen him so hesitant.

it may be the reflection of the light, or maybe a figment of my imagination, but i swear i see a glint in his eyes, a storm raging behind them. the levee holding back his carefully protected feelings, threatening to break.

i can see the gears shifting in his mind, thinking, calculating. draco makes a decision to slide his right arm underneath my lower back. his left arm reaches out toward my own, brushing back my white sleeve from my forearm. i'm rested in his lap, my head lulling back, rolling over his legs. he brushes his fingers against my left forearm, ghosting across the darkened patch skin.

"it was supposed to be us. we were supposed to make it out." the barrier breaks and a single tear slides down his cheek. he chokes on his words.

he wipes the corners of my mouth where blood continues to spill, smearing it, or wiping it away, i don't know. the pads of his thumb trace down the side of my face.

i can feel my breathing become shallow, but i am no longer afraid.

no. i am not afraid one bit, because i always knew death was inevitable. i also knew i would find him after this, after my soul left my body. my heart no longer beats for myself, it beat for him. whatever lies beyond what we call life, i know we will find each other again. i meet his eyes and try to force a smile with whatever strength i could rouse.

"please don't cry for me, my love," i try to ease his pain while breathing through my own. "i love you. i will always love you, even when i'm no longer tied to this human body; pieces of my soul will remain with you. until tomorrow, draco malfoy."

i look into his eyes one last time, for this would be my final memory. i could feel his arms tighten around me as if he could piece me back together; but i was gone.

and as the light faded from her eyes, the thought of what they had been consumed him, as if an angry wave had crashed over him, pulling him under, unrelenting. with no reason to thrash against the current, he allowed himself to succumb to the darkness.

so, thoughts?

i understand this may seem confusing; however, bear with me. the pieces will fall into place.

please vote if you even remotely enjoyed this prologue.