𝟒. 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐡

—

don't forget to vote :)

The air is hot and thick. It hangs around us, wrapping its arms around us, suffocating us slowly.

Using the back of my hand, I smooth down the hair that has frizzed up.

"Arabella, tell me you did not add all of the flour at once," Pansy looks bewildered as she stares down at the bowl in my arms.

"I thought that is what the recipe says." Frowning, I continue mixing while looking down at the lady maid's handwritten notes. "Yes, look right here," I put down the whisk and point a finger towards the parchment, "add flour in and combine."

We have been in the kitchens for nearly an hour after Pansy mentioned the idea of cake.

She was hanging upside down on my chaise with her eyes closed, a book laying haphazardly on her lap, threatening to tumble to the floor as she moaned and groaned.

"God, I haven't had cake in a lifetime. It is so difficult to breathe in my short stay, but I think I would sacrifice breathing comfortably for a slice of cake."

"Well, why don't we make one?"

"Make one? We have never cooked in our lives, Arabella."

"Which is why this is the perfect time to try it out! Come on, I am sure the lady maid will write us a recipe,"

Now an hour later, we've barely started combining ingredients, confused with the notes saying "dry cup" and "wet cup."

"This has to be a wet cup! Look, there are water droplets!"

"Arabella, that is because that cup has just been washed."

Giving in, I walked to my lady maid's chambers. She was waiting for me with a knowing look. It was indeed a wet cup I was holding.

With flour strewn everywhere, decorating us in a flourish of white, I finally finish mixing the batter. Swooping her index finger into the bowl, Pansy swipes at the mixture before putting her finger back into her mouth.

"That is foul," I say with disgust clear on my face. "We are to eat this, Pansy."

She reaches forward once more, gathering batter on her ring finger before quickly lunging towards me, smearing it down the side of my cheek. It is sticky but smells strongly of vanilla.

"How dare you!" I pick up the whisk, about to launch a dollop at Pansy before footfalls descend the staircase.

Our party of two is soon extended to a party of four, with Benjamin and Draco entering the kitchens.