𝟑. 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧 𝐠𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐫𝐮𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬

—

please don't forget to vote!

"Come back to me, please. Please find your way back to me." The voice I hear is my own. It is deep, brooding.

There is a lump in my throat, lodged in between my esophagus, blocking air and its escape from my lungs. They burn, as do my eyes. Tears streak my face, pooling down towards my chin.

I reach up with a crimson-stained hand, dragging it over the planes of my face. I look down to a body rested in my lap—a woman. Blood spills from her lips, drowning us both in a puddle. I hiccup, the mass nestled in my throat catching.

I don't know the woman draped across my legs, but her lifeless eyes stare back into mine—looking through me. The muddy green, glazed over with death.

My hand brushes matted strands of hair from her face. She is heavy in my lap—dead weight. It feels as if the world is crushing me as it did her. Her lips are parted, and I'm left wondering what the last words to leave her mouth were.

"I promised we'd make it out," I can't control the words that spill from my mouth. It's like I'm in observance of everything that's happening.

Tears drip from my chin, drop by drop, splashing against the woman's face and mixing with the blood drying against her skin. I run the pads of my thumbs across her cheeks, warmth still radiating from her lifeless body.

"Forgive me for putting us through this," I hiccup once more, my eyes burning as pain breaks from the levee holding it back. God, did it hurt. I'm not even sure who the woman is, but my heart physically feels as if it is cracking down the center as I stare down at her.

Through the agony, I look up and observe my surroundings. Another body lay on the floor next to us—a man. Lines plague his face as it rests, frozen in time, the scruff of facial hair surrounding his chin unkept and greying. His eyes are open wide in shock, with a wooden stick resting against his palm. There are two more a ways away from where I kneel on the floor.

Distant yells and shouts rattle down the hallway we're stationed in. My heart threatens to beat out from the cage in my chest, pattering as if a hummingbird thrums its wings within. I can't tell if it's from shock, or panic of what could have possibly happened for us to end up in this situation.

"Malfoy!" I whip my head around at the mention of my name, careful not to drop the woman who lies on my legs.

Just as I pivot to face the unknown caller, green light emits from the wooden stick they hold in their right hand, along with two words I've never heard in my life leaving their lips.

The green light explodes like a supernova as it barrels towards me. A millimeter from my chest, I'm blinded by the glow before everything turns black.