𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Prove y'self.

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

TW: vision

Newt had gotten me up just before wake up again — much to my frustration — to tell me what to expect from the day. I argued that I didn't need to be woken up that early, he argued that some of these Keepers would eat me alive... which I highly doubt. Newt tells me he's helping in the gardens today, as he usually does apparently. I asked him with an amused smirk whether he really liked spending that much time with me, he said he'd rather die — which is fair, I guess. I'm not exactly the most friendly person. It amused me more than offended me.

I did manage to get at least some sleep last night, albeit not much, however I'm still largely under rested. I spend hours tossing and turning until the cracks of dawn, perhaps getting one or two hours at a maximum. I'm hoping I can get more tonight, but I don't think that'll happen.

It's after lunch time, and I sat with Winston, Chuck and Jeff at lunch, listening to their god awful jokes and laughing at them all. I was finally starting to feel like I was fitting in, even when people like Gally were making such a task as difficult as he could. He doesn't trust me, which I don't blame him for, however I really don't see the need to be a slinthead towards me.

I'm currently back in the gardens, I'm with the Track-hoes today, and Zart is a really nice guy, and, contrary to Newt's anecdote about most of the Keepers, didn't eat me alive. He only really talks to someone if they're doing something wrong, and I'm pleased to say that he hasn't talked to me yet, which I'm thankful for, as I'm still trying to sort things through in my head. It's strange.

Newt and I have worked without a word — he understands once again that when I have a question to ask, I will, and if I'm not talking, I'm thinking. We've been quiet for the moment, just enjoying the silence while working next to the other.

"Hey, frog face?" I ask after a while, working up my confidence. I'm not sure how this conversation will go, either really well, or really poorly. I'm not exactly ecstatic about it being the latter. 

Newt looks up from the fruit he's planting and wipes his forehead with his arm. "Yeah, Greenbean?"

"What do the Runners do?"

He looks up at me and laughs, before drawing his attention back to the plants. "You have a habit of not listening to me or Minho."

I shrug my shoulders. "Neither of you are remotely interesting."

"Well, then," he says with a smug smile. "You won't wanna hear what I've got to say about bein' a Runner, then, will ya?"

I pause. Newt laughs at me and continues to plant, shaking his head slightly.

Well, this conversation is going great.

Although I've realised I don't want to be a Runner, his laughter insults me more than it should. Does he not think I can do it? That I'm not fast enough? Smart enough? I sit there, putting down my spade to show him that I'm not going to continue working until I have an answer. Newt smiles at me. "Ya already want a death wish, huh?"