𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Well, then who killed then
stupid thing?

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

The sunlight shines a bright golden glow into my eyes, and I shield the rays with my hand, obscuring the sun from my view. Dried tears stick to my face, and I nuzzle further into Newt's chest — he stirs momentarily before dropping back to sleep, his breaths evening out.

The empty void of nothing that Ben left behind was slowly starting to ebb away, replaced with a newfound sense of optimism I'd never experienced before. To me, Ben died that day in Deadheads. The boy who we banished wasn't really him. That wasn't Ben. It was a warped version of him — almost as if someone had tried to draw him on a scrunched up piece of paper blindfolded. I'd spent hours that day Alby shot him staring at what I thought was his corpse, drowning in the realisation that Ben was now gone.

That was when he died.

I look up into Newt's face... and it's devoid of any emotion. He's completely and utterly relaxed — a welcoming change after seeing him crying last night. His long eyelashes flutter against his cheeks as his soft breaths fan over my face.

"Get up!" Chuck shouts, rocking the hammock and jolting me. Newt groggily opens his eyes and leans into me, shooting Chuck a death stare.

"Really, Chuck?" he grumbles.

"The doors are gonna open."

I scoff, tightening my arms around Newt and say, "The doors can open when I say they're gonna open." Newt's chest shakes as he lets out a silent laugh, brushing the hair from behind my ear.

I don't want him to stop. And he doesn't.

I smile to myself — I know exactly what game he's playing. He thinks if he shows enough affection while Chuck's here, then he'll will get disgusted and go away. I don't care whether Chuck was here or not, I never want this moment to end. Unfortunately, the boy wrinkles his nose at us but refuses to leave.

"You're not a god," Chuck argues.

"I beg to differ."

Newt sighs, continuing to play with my hair gently. I allow my eyes to close, enjoying what time I have left until I have to get up. "It's pointless to argue with her, Chuckie."

"You leave me no choice. Payback!"

In one swift motion, Chuck grips into the fabric of the hammock and flips it over, sending Newt and I toppling to the floor, and I throw my arms out to catch myself but land painfully on top of Newt's chest.

Sometimes, one experiences a moment where time completely stops; where it's as if the world would pause just so you could experience it in every excruciatingly wonderful second. It feels like that when I look into his deep brown eyes lit by the soft golden rays of sunlight. Looking down at him, the sun eradicating the woes of last night, his hair glows under the light. I smile softly.

He looks like an angel.

He raises his eyebrows, almost as if he expected an apology; the biggest prompt I'd ever had to roll my eyes.

"Sorry?" I say half-heartedly.

Newt scoffs and says, "That was the best bloody apology I ever heard."

I smile to myself before leaning down, placing my hand on the side of his neck. As our lips brush against each other lightly, I allow the warmth to consume me, wrapping me in comfort. This kiss isn't heated with passion like the one before, rather soft and gentle, as though we were afraid the other might break in our arms. Newt smiles into the kiss, making butterflies swarm throughout my entire body.