VII

Luke's pov

I wake up the next morning with my first thought of the day being Jamie. Why is the first thing I think about in the morning always Jamie?

I shake my head and tell myself it's just because she's my best friend. After getting dressed and going down to find everyone already in the kitchen, I eat breakfast and we leave to Mitch and Cam's house.

"Hey!" Mitch smiles as he answers the door and steps aside to let us in. Mom and dad start talking with him and Cam in the kitchen while Haley and Alex sit on the couch and I start helping Lily with a puzzle she's started on the coffee table.

"Come to see your girlfriend?" She asks, putting a puzzle piece next to another to see if they fit, and they don't, so she tries another one. Haley and Alex giggle and I shoot them a nasty look from my seat on the ground in front of their feet before gaping at Lily.

"I heard voices?" Jamie yawns as she comes out the bathroom, rubbing her eyes. She's barefoot, wearing an oversized plain white t-shirt, her hair in a messy bun. She stops in her tracks as her eyes adjust to the light and her cheeks go a furious shade of red. The four of us are just staring at her.

I try my best to hide a goofy smile. She looks good. Lily eyes me, unimpressed, as if I'm proving her point.

"Awh, you look adorable!" Haley exclaims.

"I'm not wearing any pants." She whispers, as if thinking aloud, before turning on her heels to go put some on. She comes back a few moments later, her legs now covered by baggy, gray sweatpants.

"That's a bit better." Alex snorts, gaining a sarcastic thanks from Jamie. She smiles at me and sits on Lily's other side, gazing at the puzzle.

"Hey," I say, leaning forward to look past Lily, "How's the arm?" She shrugs and looks at the box cover.

"How many pieces is this?" She asks Lily. She's avoiding me. Why?

"You look cool with the bandages on your face." Haley kicks me at the bottom of my spine and I turn around to glare at her.

What was that for? I mouth. She jerks her head towards Jamie and I frown, not understanding. She groans, grabs my arm and drags me to the den.

"What?" I growl as she peeks around the wall to make sure no one's listening.

"Are you really that stupid?" She barks in a low voice. I frown again and she sighs, "Lily called her your girlfriend. She embarrassed you in front of those girls when you were flirting." I glare at her. "Yeah, I know about that. She's ignoring you. Do I really have to say it, Luke?"

"Yes!"

"She likes you, moron!" I stare at her for a while before shaking my head. She just nods, her arms folded across her chest, and leaves. I let myself drop onto the couch and hold my head between my hands, staring at the ground with my mouth hanging open.

Footsteps pass by the den, stop, then come back.

"What's wrong?" Cam's worried voice asks, approaching and sitting down next to me. The sofa tilts slightly.

"I think... I think I might like Jamie." I mumble. He silent for a second and I assume he didn't hear. His signature squeal and excited clapping comes a second later and I realize he did, and probably knows Jamie likes me too.

"Luke, that's great." He whisper screams, rubbing my back before hugging me sideways.

"No, it's not," I grumble, pushing him off, "You're gonna adopt her. We'll be related." He pouts as I do a grimace, "And anyways, she's mad at me. I acted like a complete fool."

"Luke, you've been best friends since you were born-"

"That's the problem!" I cut him off abruptly and he gives me a sidelong look, "Sorry."

"You've never had a problem fixing petty fights like this. She'll be talking to you in no time." He pauses and his face lits up, "and then you can be together!" Another squeal.

"Cousins," I fake cough, "We'll be cousins."

"Oh please. Like we'd adopt her after this! We talked about it this morning. We can figure out a way of giving her a roof to live under without legally being her parents. Like foster parents."

My head shot up at the idea and I beamed at the black tv screen like an idiot. Cam cleared his throat and pushed me to my feet, which automatically walked me over to Jamie, who was now taking over the whole puzzle operation.

Haley shot me a confused look, her eyes trained on my goofy grin. She elbows Alex in the ribs, who snaps her book shut to stare at our sister.

Look, she mouths as I sit next to Jamie. She's trying so hard to ignore me, focusing on the puzzle. I can tell she sees me in her peripheral vision and it bothers her.

Jamie's pov

"This puzzle could've been done ages ago," Luke mocks, examining the large pieces. I see him wince out of the corner of my eye as Alex kicks him.

"You suck, I'm gonna play with my dolls," Lily complains, standing up and stomping off with her little hands dramatically balled into fists. I watch her go and bring my attention back to the puzzle when her door closes.

"I mean, that obviously doesn't go there," Luke continues, "this puzzle is for 4 year olds and over. It's only like 100 pieces." He's getting on my nerves but I'm determined not to give in to his little game.

"Here let me help you." He scoffs as I carefully look at the pieces, grabbing a few and quickly placing them. That's it, you asshole, you crossed the line.

I can feel Haley and Alex gaping at me as I slap the back of his head and storm off to the bathroom, slamming the door. The sound of the adults chatting stops a moment and fast footsteps run to the door.

Luke comes in and softly closes it behind him, the chatter slowly starting up again.

"I could've easily done that damn puzzle by myself," I start angrily, "I was just trying to give Lily a chance. Plus, it was a good excuse to ignore-"

His lips press against mine, cutting me off. My forefinger stops angrily waving, hanging in the air, surprised.