Chapter Eight - A Terrible Confession

The next morning, I woke up in a happy sort of a glow but there was a bit of a bucket of cold water thrown on things when I realised that I was going to be in trouble. But I still had to let Master know.

He didn't have a new phone yet - and we were assuming all the old ones were compromised - so I called Terri instead.

"Hiya!" I said, as cheerfully as I could manage. "I've got something I have to tell my Master."

"Go on then, I'll put you on speaker. I'm here in the room with him, we've just finished breakfast."

"It's kind of... well... private."

"He can't really hold the phone by himself for long," she said." I suppose I could try not to listen." I could hear she was already giggling

"You could try but you're not going to!"

She giggled again!

It was death by embarrassment stuff but I suppose I didn't really have any secrets of that kind from my sister - and anyway, now she knew there was this big secret out there, she was never going to let up on pestering me 'til I told her all about it.

"There's just the two of you there, aren't there?"

"Yep!"

"OK, would you put me on speaker then."

"Good morning, Master." I said when I heard the sound change.

"Good morning, Kitten," he responded. He sounded much less slurry than he had last time I spoke to him.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Weak as... well... as a kitten and just about ready to scream with frustration but I'm not allowed to because everybody - particularly your sister and Zi'Anna - is being so kind to me. I made it downstairs for a couple of hours yesterday which made a very pleasant change. And Dr Nil is threatening me with some sort of physical therapy today."

"That sounds like all kinds of fun!"

"And how are things going at your end?" he asked.

"I was given a packet of tablet last night," I told him. I'd already planned that answer - it would let him know what was going on without giving anything away.

Mr Bossy laughed.

"And apparently a champion chess boxer has gone missing - and so parts of your organisation are not running very smoothly... and, possibly as a result, certain architectural features seem to have been overlooked.

"Uh hum..."

"And we intend to pay a visit to one of your female colleagues who has taken up residence in our apartment."

I could hear him bristle at that news.

"Thank you for telling me, Kitten." He took a few seconds and I could tell he was trying to squish down his anger. Then he said, "I understand that you wanted to make a confession," in a 'changing the subject' sort of tone.

"Oh yeah... during the meeting last night... to avoid any sort of surveillance.... there was sort of a tape playing in the other room.

"Uh hum..."

"It was... well... quite an interesting tape..." I knew I was turning bright red but, luckily, there was nobody there to see.

"I can't say I'm surprised. I understand that one... or possibly both... of your companions 'have form' on that sort of thing."

Well... that's rather interesting. I'll have to have a little think about that... but another time!

"But anyway..." I pressed on, "I sort of found myself getting quite... interested... in that tape..."