Chapter Nineteen - Lunch in the Village

That morning, I sat out on the terrace with a couple of the economics books in front of me. I can't say I was really working - I had much too much on my mind for that.

Then, at quarter to twelve, I got Giulia to take me down to the guard office.

Captain Russo was on duty and, as predicted, he didn't actually think about whether I should be leaving the property or not. He just handed me a form to fill in.

"Should I do it, Sir?" Giulia offered. "Miss doesn't speak Italian."

"I do it," he said with a sigh. He clearly had much more important things to do than wasting his time with me.

He probably had more forms to fill in!

He did insist that I sign the form though... then he dated it... and stamped it... then filed it away.

Only then did he radio a couple of the guards and told them to meet me down at the lower gate.

And with that, I set off down through the gardens.

The stroll down to the village was as lovely as I remembered. There was a bit of a breeze and so it didn't feel quite as hot as usual and the fresh herby scent of the bushes combined with the freshness of the sea to give a wonderful smell and, for a few short minutes, I could forget all the horrible stuff that was going on. My two guards were silent but I suppose they thought I didn't speak Italian and they didn't want to embarrass themselves by struggling in English unless they really had to!

It was a bit too breezy to eat comfortably outside so, when we arrived at the restaurant, I stepped inside whilst the two guards stayed outside on the terrace.

When the owner saw me, he called his daughter down, of course, and we chatted for a bit before I ordered my customary salad and fish. Then I casually asked her if I could borrow her mobile [cell] phone.

I didn't want the guards to notice me talking so, doing my best to look casual, I texted Terri.

>>>Hi! It's me, Cat. I'm down in the village having lunch and have borrowed a mobile.>>>

<<<R U OK?<<<

>>>OK so far. S-B is planning on marrying me. Find Master>>>

There was a short break so I started chomping on my salady bits.

<<<He's here. S-B let you out?<<<

>>>Doesn't know I'm down in village. Prob not again>>>

<<<Escape?<<<

>>>Armed guards outside. No time for you to get here>>>

>>>C. Giuseppe on night duty at lower gate. Will let you in>>>

<<<Roaming guards?<<<

>>>More than before but morale and attitude not good>>>

<<<Where's S-B<<<

>>>Nonno's old rooms>>>

<<<And you?<<<

>>>Room next to S-B>>>

>>>Go soon. Funny looks from waitress>>>

<<<Both luv U<<<

>>>Luv U 2>>>

<<<Stay safe, Kitten<<<